Kind of curious what is the DJ scene like in NYC
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kind of curious what is the DJ scene like in NYC

I imagine the DJ scene in NYC as being pretty much cut throat dog eat dog type am I wrong?
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

Tech Guru

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." --Hunter S Thompson
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Hunter S. Thompson quote == immediate win. Well played, Sir.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Tech Mentor

The scene in New York is the most stressful, cut throat, depressing scene in the US i think lol ... Its all about how many people are you bring out on your guestlist and how many tables are you booking ... Even from personal experience i have had 100 plus guest list with 8 to 10 tables sold and all confirmed and show up but to promoters and club owners the infamous saying is "you could of done better" or "can you do it again" lol its pathetic never even a pat on the back or a great job !!! however i cant say that for all the promoters and club owners there are some but very limited that will be greatful .. i've been in the NY scene for a while now and i love DJing and controlling the room but the politics side of it makes me so disgusted and depressed that i sometimes don't even want to show up for my set ... but since its a love and passion of mine i have to deal with it and stay positive but its hard ...

I'm curious if many move to NYC in hopes of making it as a DJ given the habitat. It really doesn't seem like a launching point into stardom when what it seems one really needs these days is a good portfolio of original productions and notable remixes.

I remember the days when the DJ just showed up to DJ and the promoter did the promoting...

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyv View Post
    I remember the days when the DJ just showed up to DJ and the promoter did the promoting...
    Circa 1985?
    ---------------------------
    Greybeard Turntablist
    Z2 / 1200's / X1 MK2 / F1 / Maschine MK2

its a lot of who you know rather than what you know as well...most of the djs i see that get booked at most of the clubs in my area (northern nj) are friends with the promoters or the club owners...and most of the time, they are repetitive and terrible when they dj...and if, somehow, they do ask you to play, expect an opening spot and be ready to bring at least 25-50 people and get payed absolute shit...

playing the big cities is all about falling in with a crew.

Make friends with local djs, hang with them, let them hear your tracks and mixes.

The bookings will come if your mixes are good.

Tech Wizard

Start to produce. Its the only way in now. Depends on your goals and aspirations

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast