Live "covers" of songs via Launchpad

Default Live "covers" of songs via Launchpad

So I decided I wanted to use my launchpad and start off with something relatively simple (or so i thought) which was to do a launchpad cover of a song of my choosing, like this so i decided to go into ableton and try it out with Porter Robinson's Sad machine. At the moment, all i can do is crop clips from the original song (which is tedious and sloppy) and throw them into a drum rack, mounted to specific buttons on the launchpad, and i only know how to get them to glow yellow when they're being pressed. My question is, how can I "strip" the song i want to cover in a more efficient and clean way so the button mappings won't sound sloppy when the clips are played, and how can i program different types of lighting sequences whenever a button is pressed. If anyone knows of a guide for such a thing, it would help alot.

I recently made a project similar to what you're talking about in your post. One of the best tricks for getting clean samples is to layer sounds that you sample. For example, if you sample a synth note, chances are it'll sound choppy and will end abruptly. You can somewhat fix this but making copies of that sound and placing them on top of each other. Then apply reverb and/or delay to the copies, and you will get a fuller sound with a longer tail.
    Maschine Routine with live musicians
    http://youtu.be/ubEQZSvocto
    fb: http://www.facebook.com/djizn

Tech Guru

Its not a cover. Youre doing some sort of remix.

A cover is when you play an already published song with different instrumentation and arrangement. ie a Beatles song on a piano.

You cant cover something by using the actual audio of the thing you are covering.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoDJ View Post
    Its not a cover. Youre doing some sort of remix.

A cover is when you play an already published song with different instrumentation and arrangement. ie a Beatles song on a piano.

You cant cover something by using the actual audio of the thing you are covering.

actually a "cover" is to simply play or recreate a piece of music, you are correct this is a remix and not a cover but the piano analogy is wrong. playing someone else's song on the same instrument they used is also a cover.