Need some help for the start
    Tech Convert

Default Need some help for the start

Hello everyone!

Im completely new to to DJing and need some help from people who know what they are doing. I was looking in the internet for some help but the only things ive learned are that. they are beats bars and phrases and some different equipment and software. Ive downloaded the demo of traktor 2 and also was playing a little bit around with some fx things and cue point but not more for the last 4 days. now is my question where i beginn the best. i have to say that the youtube tutirals are too complicated for or i just found not good tutorials that could it also be.

So please help me a little bit to get samrter :D :) some tips or other stuff
    And also sorry for my english im from germany

greetings Oskar

Ellaskins on Youtube is a great place to start.

I don't know what I'm doing, but I'll give my advice anyway.

Start by beatmatching and transitioning.

I would highly recommend learning a little bit about time from a drummer's perspective. If you know anyone who plays drums, ask them to help you out with basic information regarding beats, measures (bars) and phrasing. Otherwise, look for some tutorials on the internet, I'm sure there are some good ones that will help you get started. A basic understanding of simple fractions and other mathematic knowledge will go a long way in developing your DJ skills.

Of course there's much more to it, but I think this is a great way to prepare your brain for DJing! Viel spass!

Quote Originally Posted by frankiefilth View Post
    I would highly recommend learning a little bit about time from a drummer's perspective. If you know anyone who plays drums, ask them to help you out with basic information regarding beats, measures (bars) and phrasing. Otherwise, look for some tutorials on the internet, I'm sure there are some good ones that will help you get started. A basic understanding of simple fractions and other mathematic knowledge will go a long way in developing your DJ skills.
    I'd start a fair bit simpler then that. All important things to know, but you'll end up with information overload at the beginning. I learnt to DJ without any of that sort of knowledge. 4/8/16/32 etc can come pretty easy once your ears learn the tricks.

Play around with Traktor some more using mouse/keyboard. See what sounds good/shit, don't worry too much about FX yet.

Try play around on some controllers or CDJs in a shop/mates house, work out which way you wanna go.
    Last edited by shr3dder; 10-09-2014 at 08:33 PM.

Tech Convert

do you can recommend a good beginnig controller? and is it also okay to buy used or is there a big risk. i tried one from my freind and it is a good felling to have to make more with your hand nd its also easier and make more fun hahha. one more problem is that traktor is often going dont an the sound doubles all the time and i have to restart it. is this only because of the demo or have somebody the same problem ???

and thanks for the respones really appreciate it ^^

Pick up this book and get stuck in, it explains everything in layman's terms, complete with diagrams of song, beat matching structure etc. Covers every topic from reasons for DJing in the first place & building a music collection, to buying and setting up different types of equipment, to all the technical aspects of the craft, right up to learning about the industry itself and marketing etc.

And it's an extremely entertaining read to boot.

"How to DJ Properly - The Art & Science of Playing Records"
    Last edited by Irrational Fear; 10-10-2014 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Removed link!
    https://www.facebook.com/ekmobile.entertainment / http://soundcloud.com/dave-eden
    2 Denon SC2900, Denon Dn-x1600, 2 Vestax PDX2000mk2, 2 Technics 1210, Stanton SK6, Gemini SA600mk2, Pio HDJ1500, 2 Synergy CD2000 (antiques)