Questions - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions

Tech Mentor

Who said anything about a jesus pose? What about the likes of Chris Liebing, Deadmau5, Prodigy, etc?
    If you say hiphop dj's are as a fact the most creative, you have to demonstrate that. Not by giving examples, but by showing that by your definition of creative, hiphop dj's are inherently superior in terms of creativity. If you can't do that, it's just another opinion.

Dadmaofive is not a DJ. Neither are the Prodigy, but they make good music.

Check out Liam Howletts "The Dirtchamber Sessions Vol. 1".

See if you can get hold of the '98 BBC R1 Breezeblock version (essentially the original, with some additional tunes that the ycouldn't get sample clearance on for the official Dirtchamber release).

It's definitely more of a studio mix, but (I assume...) Liam did the scratches himself...

At the beginning of the Breezeblock version, he's interviewed by Mary Ann Hobbs, where he discusses how playing hip-hop allows him to be more creative.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

I have that CD Patch, bloody awesome.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tell me about it.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

@mostapha: Sure, you think they're producers instead of dj's. But what about the other two.
    @Patch: Non sequitor. Explain why hiphop dj's are the most creative. Not by analogy or authority, but with facts.

It's a generalisation that hip-hop djs are more "creative" that "house" djs but's it's fair to say that ON THE WHOLE it's a more challenging genre to mix and that the culture of hip hop djing is more "hardcore".

The vast majority of house djs just beat match and blend two tunes together - there is definitely an art or skill to doing this well but with hip hop there's more to it and the demand from fans / other djs to see a bigger variety of skills on display.

Are there exceptions... probably, but if you want "proof" look at the DMC championships - the largest and most established DJ competition in the world where the intricacies of teh art of DJing are scrutinised and judged. 95% of that is hip hop style mixing... though taken to an even greater extreme.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Hip-Hop DJ's live it 24/7 - utterly consumed by their love of music and their compulsion to share it with anyone that will listen.
    How is that specific of hiphop DJs? A borderline insane obsession with music is the basis for any good DJ, regardless of genre.

Apart from that: I'd love to have a go at playing some hiphop from time to time, but don't really know how to approach it. So I think I agree on the creativity part (though I don't agree with bringing turntablism into the equation - as, more often than not, it's practically a big circle jerk about technical skills with no musical value whatsoever).
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

As a Psytrance, Electro and Minimal Tech DJ....playing HipHop or anything without a 4\4 beat scares me.

Sure, I have tried and can blend intros\outros .... but beatmixing HipHop always amazes me.
    Sure, I understand the fundamentals of it etc and can scratch a bit, but when it comes to juggles and dropping HipHop beats is just something I have not practiced or gotten the hang of. In that sense, I would say that yes....there is a lot of creativity in it.

But at the same time, I have seen and been very creative in other genre's too. I guess its relative.

When I watch DJ's on the net these days, its never EDM or electronic music. Its DMC stuff and HipHop DJ's. Its more exciting to watch in my opinion. More going on...
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Quote Originally Posted by Scalage View Post
    @Patch: Non sequitor. Explain why hiphop dj's are the most creative. Not by analogy or authority, but with facts.
    It's subjective. You can't have/won't get facts from anyone.
    ---------------------------
    Greybeard Turntablist
    Z2 / 1200's / X1 MK2 / F1 / Maschine MK2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast