Questions
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions

Default Questions

I understand the use of a 2 channel dj controller but can you explain to me in detail how people use 4 decks? I'm looking at a novation twitch and a reloop terminal mix 4...both used but being used they are in my price range. Which one would you get? Also have a question about dj'ing r&b/hip-pop ..... how is this genre art? I mean isnt it just mostly cuts?

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

I know some very proficient 'house' DJ's that cannot mix hip hop at all - the skill needed to drop on beat and keep the flow is a lot harder than it might sound and especially hard to keep a flow.
    I know more hip hop DJ's that can DJ other genres, they seem to be more versatile than some guys that have spent years making long transitions that can be rather forgiving when you have the time to get the beats tight. Hip hop is very unforgiving - miss the beat and your mix is fucked, no time to correct it.

Of course, I know some hip hop DJ's that are completely one minded and play nothing but hip hop... but, they can still mix.

Where's my brother Patch ?

Richie Hawtin is a good example of a DJ that uses four decks effectively.

Check out Dubfire as well.

And here's a video of Chris Liebing talking through his set up, last year.

It really depends on what sort of music you play as to how straightforward it is to mix four decks.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

All this talk of quick cuts in Hip-Hop is a PRIME example of a little bit of internet knowledge getting blown out of proportion.

Quick cuts are fine - actually, they're a KILLER transition when you do 'em right (combine 'em with a TT stop, or, dare I say, a spinback!) - but there is still lots of potential for 4, 8 or even 16 bar transitions/blends.

It's true for all genres (but ESPECIALLY Hip-Hop), that as long as you avoid clashing vocals, you're half way towards a good transition.

Also have a question about dj'ing r&b/hip-pop ..... how is this genre art?
    You really wanna know how this is "art"? Check out Jazzy Jeff, Scratch Bastid, Krafty Kuts (KK has just released his Golden Age Vol. 2 podcast (iTunes, unfortunately) - a perfect example!) for starters.

Without doubt, Hip-Hop DJ's are the most creative out there. Hip-Hop is ENTIRELY BASED on digging (REAL digging, listening to hundreds upon hundreds of real vinyl records, just to find a single phrase/sample/sound that you can use), and surprising the listener with your knowledge of the tracks you're playing, and your ability to extract the FUNK from wherever it is hidden.

Re: 4 decks - the way I use 4 decks, is A&B for mixing, C is a remix deck (capturing loops and samples from A & B and extending outro's/intro's, etc...) and D is a prep deck (I do instant double from A or B to D, then scrub forwards and insert mix-out markers. That marker then shows up in the original deck that D was doubled from).

But there are a TON of ways to use 4 decks.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

While I agree with the jist of your post, Patch, saying hip-hop dj's are without doubt the most creative is pushing it a bit too far.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesdolecek View Post
    I understand the use of a 2 channel dj controller but can you explain to me in detail how people use 4 decks? I'm looking at a novation twitch and a reloop terminal mix 4...both used but being used they are in my price range. Which one would you get? Also have a question about dj'ing r&b/hip-pop ..... how is this genre art? I mean isnt it just mostly cuts?
    Have you ever tried DJing hip hop/r & b? Learn more than two types of scratches or beat juggling and you'll see the art in it. Watch some of the DMC competition videos on youtube.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Quote Originally Posted by Scalage
    saying hip-hop dj's are without doubt the most creative is pushing it a bit too far.
    No it's not.

DJ Shadow, Q-Bert, Cut Chemist, Babu, DJ Format, A-Trak (always was a Hip-Hop DJ), Mix Master Mike, Kid Koala, DJ Craze, DJ Flare, DJ Spinbad, DJ Yoda - the list goes on forever.

I knew it would ruffle some feathers - but it's my honest opinion. But, creativity is subjective, and if you disagree, that's cool.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy

Tech Mentor

Then say it is an opinion, you now state it as fact. I would say hip-hop dj's are very creative, but so is creating a complete track on the fly like some other dj's do.

Sorry mate - Hip-Hop DJ's ARE the most creative. I added that "honest opinion" statement in the interests of keeping the peace, but if you're gonna be a prickly-pear, I'm gonna stick to my guns.

Hip-Hop DJ's live it 24/7 - utterly consumed by their love of music and their compulsion to share it with anyone that will listen.

...and not a fuckin' Jesus pose in sight.
    Last edited by Karlos Santos; 10-13-2014 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Peace Keeping.

I've seen DJs of all genres, including a regrettable experience in a Hardcore tent at a festival. I'd have to agree that the hip hop DJs I've seen live (notably A-Trak, Cut Chemist, Premo, Ali Shaheed (never liked Yoda although respect him), even 9th Wonder who I was expecting to be pretty average as a DJ) put more creativity into their sets.

This is coming from a man who's a hip hop fan but has only ever played house & breaks.
    SC - WS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast