Traktor freezing upon exiting program... help please
    Tech Student

Default Traktor freezing upon exiting program... help please

So I've tried almost everything fixing this problem. Every time i close traktor 2.6.8 everything on my computer locks up. I can't get to task manager to end the task or anything so im forced to hard reset and i hate doing that. I just put in a 240gb solid state so my system is restored and the only other program that was installed prior to traktor was kaspersky which i disabled and tried to open and close traktor but still same problem. I even uninstalled and installed traktor like 3 times in different situations (in diagnositc startup with no drivers and with kaspersky disabled). here are some other things i tried already with no solution
    -I ran traktor as admin
    -I ran traktor in windows 7 through xp sp3 modes
    -I installed an earlier version of traktor 2.6.7
    -I updated all drivers including my intel 4000hd video card
    -I ran virus full system scans and rootkit scans with both kaspersky and malwarebytes with nothing found
    -I contacted NI twice with no response
    -I let traktor sit and try to exit for like 3 hours with no response.
    -I tried traktor out with none of my usb devices attached
    -I did the whole rebuild the collection thing on NI's technical forums

I think i have tried other things too but i cant think because im so flustered... What i did somewhat notice is sometimes like (very rarely) i was able to get into task manager.. and i would end traktor but then it would freeze again... but when i closed nihardwareservice prior to traktor it would sometimes work (2 out of the 5 times).. i feel like it could be some kind of software issue

my computer specs are as followed:
    HP Envy Dv6
    Intel i5-3210m @2.5ghz w/ 16gb ram
    240gb solid state kingston v300
    dell 24inch monitor via VGA

my toys include:
    stanton djc.4
    kontrol f1
    maschine mikro mk2
    focursite scarlett 2i2

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!!! I just wanna get to mixing

Hi djtuck and welcome to DJTT.

My suggestions:

- Setup a "save collection" hotkey (SHIFT + S is a good one) so before you crash out at least your collection isn't lost.
    - You should not have to run Traktor in compatibility mode at all in Windows 7.
    - Install process hacker http://processhacker.sourceforge.net/ this will replace your stock task manager and you can try suspending the ACPI.SYS threads,
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

This could easily be a soundcard driver problem

Try renaming your Traktor root folder to something else (e.g. add an underscore to its name) and then fire up Traktor. It will then start with factory settings (the old settings obviously are still in the folder you've just renamed, to undo just close Traktor and re-rename the folder back to its original name). See if this works.

If not, try selecting the on-board audio device (rather than the ASIO device) and see if that helps. If so, try reinstalling your ASIO drivers.

Tech Guru

1. Backup your traktor settings folder
    2. Delete the traktor settings folder.
    3. Run Traktor, go through the setup. Do not plug in any devices. Do not install any templates or anything.
    4. Put one known good quality bought track in the collection. This is important. Not a random downloaded rip.
    5. Play traktor, then close traktor.
    6. Profit?

I had a similar problem. It was a combo of bad TSI and corrupt files and metadata. You may have a different problem, but this is worth trying.

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Hi djtuck and welcome to DJTT.

My suggestions:

- Setup a "save collection" hotkey (SHIFT + S is a good one) so before you crash out at least your collection isn't lost.
    - You should not have to run Traktor in compatibility mode at all in Windows 7.
    - Install process hacker http://processhacker.sourceforge.net/ this will replace your stock task manager and you can try suspending the ACPI.SYS threads,
    i downloaded it and searched for acpi but nothing coming up...

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
    This could easily be a soundcard driver problem

Try renaming your Traktor root folder to something else (e.g. add an underscore to its name) and then fire up Traktor. It will then start with factory settings (the old settings obviously are still in the folder you've just renamed, to undo just close Traktor and re-rename the folder back to its original name). See if this works.

If not, try selecting the on-board audio device (rather than the ASIO device) and see if that helps. If so, try reinstalling your ASIO drivers.
    when i first installed traktor after my second restore i didnt install anything and it still did it.. i tried again just now and made sure that my default audio card was my primary source but still locking up

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoDJ View Post
    1. Backup your traktor settings folder
    2. Delete the traktor settings folder.
    3. Run Traktor, go through the setup. Do not plug in any devices. Do not install any templates or anything.
    4. Put one known good quality bought track in the collection. This is important. Not a random downloaded rip.
    5. Play traktor, then close traktor.
    6. Profit?

I had a similar problem. It was a combo of bad TSI and corrupt files and metadata. You may have a different problem, but this is worth trying.
    NI finnally got back to me and told me rename my settings.tsi and i just tried what you mentioned but still no change.. im super stumped im trying to upgrade to windows 10 preview and see if that works lol

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by djtuck View Post
    NI finnally got back to me and told me rename my settings.tsi and i just tried what you mentioned but still no change.. im super stumped im trying to upgrade to windows 10 preview and see if that works lol
    This ones a puzzler.

Did you follow every step exactly?

I guarantee you that Win10 wont fix anything, and will be more likely to introduce a bunch of new problems.

Does it happen with both your soundcard and using onboard sound?

That's really weird.

Did you ever get it to work correctly in the past on the same system?
    Did this suddenly started to happen?
    Is this the first time you try to install Traktor?

You could try not only renaming the root folder but also clearing all Traktor data in the Registry, both in HKCU and HKLM. If you need more details on this let me know.

If you have/can borrow another computer, try installing Traktor there and see if it works when you use the same settings and sound card. Maybe try increasing your soundcards ASIO buffer.

See if you can get it to work with another soundcard. If you don't have another soundcard, try ASIO4ALL and test again.

There are plenty of things to try, but I think the first thing to find out is whether the problem is hardware or a configuration issue.
    Last edited by Scoox; 10-14-2014 at 06:23 AM.