Wanna lose the mouse - will ShuttleXpress do the job?
    Tech Mentor

Default Wanna lose the mouse - will ShuttleXpress do the job?

Hi,

I am fairly new to digital DJing and have only recently started using Traktor in conjunction with my vinyl decks.
    I have an analogue 4 channel mixer with 2 of the channels being the decks and the other two coming from Traktor off my laptop.

I really like this setup and want to keep going with it, the only thing i want to improve is i want to stop using the mouse/trackpad to operate Traktor.

I don't think I need a full-on midi controller just yet and i don't want to buy a new mixer so i was wondering if i could have full control of Traktor using a cheap peripheral such as the ShuttleXpress:
    http://retail.contourdesign.com/?/products/22

Can anyone tell me if this setup is going to do what I want it to? Or have any other suggestions for me?

Thanks,
    P

Well

"DJ Mouse" is screwed!

In all honesty I would spend a similar amount on a Midi controller. Korg Nano Series or Akai LPD8. with any of those controllers you shouldnt need any reason to reach for the mouse. And im confident you will be much happier with the tactile nature of the controls available from these in expensive controllers. Im afraid at the end of the day shuttle express will still feel like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSd9y8xY5To
    Last edited by sm00sh; 10-29-2009 at 02:13 PM.

Tech Mentor

Thanks for the reply. I really like the look of the Akai LPD8, only thing is I can't see a way that I would be able to use it to scroll through tracks, so I'm worried I'd still end up using the mouse... anyone got it set up to do stuff like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Paco Loco View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I really like the look of the Akai LPD8, only thing is I can't see a way that I would be able to use it to scroll through tracks, so I'm worried I'd still end up using the mouse... anyone got it set up to do stuff like that?
    You can asign one or two of the knobs to scroll trough the tracks/playlist with modyfiers

Tech Mentor

Is that setup really useable since the knobs don't rotate 360 degrees?

kinda pricey, i would look at a midi controller, something like the akai or the korg nano pad style to avoid using a mouse.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |