Best way to organize downloads
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Best way to organize downloads

Hi guys got a new laptop tried to consolidate the collections off my old laptop and my desktop messed it all up real bad as they were near enough the same but with different folder trees so i just ended up with duplicates of stuff tried a few apps to sort it werent really much help
    in the end i used windows search for mp3 tags and then copied them all to one big folder now im kinda stuck as of where to go now i was thinking maybe just name that folder "legacy" and then go back to my old system of making monthly folders of 2014 august 2014 september etc but it gets messy and hard to keep files on both computers (transfer by old slow external)

ideally id like a system thats a bit more refined but cant thin k of anyway of doing all my googling is just giving me guides on how to make playlists but i really wanna sort the files themselves out ideally in a way i can set up some kind of network sync that would let me make playlists on itunes, anylyse+prep in traktor on the desktop and have it all sync with my laptop if anyone knows if this is possible could really do with a lil help here guys

Saywhutnow?

I'm sure I can help here - but I don't completely understand what you've written, mate???

But, usually, (and especially for "Sort By Date" type organisation) Smart Playlists in iTunes is the answer.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Convert

yeaah i figured it might be a bit confusing sorry lol ill try and simplify, my music got real jumbled up duplicates of everything etc

i pulled all the individual mp3s out into one big folder so i could get rid of all the dupes at once from here im stuck as of what to do next
    realistically id like to call this folder legacy and organize all the stuff i download from now on so it dont get messy again in a way that i can download stuff on the desktop create playlists in itunes , then analyze and set grids in traktor then have it all sync over to my laptop on the network so that i have the same file trees on both desktop and laptop

Tech Wizard

If you're files are properly tagged, you could use software like Tags 2 Folders to mass move files to a new folder tree, ex by Genre or Artist. I used it once, and it worked quite well. For finding and deleting duplicates I used a software called Similarity, which not only scans filenams and tags, but also acoustic fingerprint (I think), to find duplicate files.

Tech Convert

ah i have already sorted out the dupes im more wondering how other people keep their libraries in sync accross mulltiple computers

Thanks for the heads-up on Similarity, AndiPandi.

Nice find.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

I just use iTunes. Every song i've ever collected (dismissing the hundreds of cd's i have yet to get round to ripping) .. the ones want in traktor get run through mp3gain and then drag n' dropped into the collection.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

I think ean had an article about this. Something about the right combination of "copy to iTunes folder", "keep itunes folder organized", and "consolidate collection".

Mine is a huge freaking mess spread between a couple computers and a NAS that both stores music and backs the other 2 up....but I can usually find what I want without too much trouble.

Now...my POS Android phone....I have no idea what's on it. I kind of just put it on shuffle and hope for the best. Stupid google music cloud crap royally screwed that one up.

First of all, my music is in folders by Genre, Artist, and Album, which I do by hand because I'm very particular about how my music is organized (and tagged, and file-named). My method assumes that your collection itself is already organized.

To sync, I use Box, the cloud storage service, but you could just as easily use Dropbox, Mega, Google Drive, etc. Yes, you have to pay for this - $10/month gives me 1TB of storage, which is more than enough. Google Drive will sell you 100 GB for about $2/month.

On my desktop PC, I moved my music collection "tree" into my Box folder, and over the next few days, my music was uploaded to my Box account online. Once it was all up there, I installed Box on my laptop and let it sync - after a day or two, my entire collection had downloaded and synced. Now, I can manage all of my music on my desktop with huge monitors, nice keyboard, etc., and any changes are synced to Box automatically. Before a gig, I let the laptop run for a couple of hours to sync any changes I might have made, and I'm all set. I did the same on my backup laptop, so now it too is identical. Plus, this gives me a cloud backup of my music as well (I still have an external hard drive as an additional backup).

I use Traktor, and it is possible to sync my Traktor settings/sessions as well, but right now, I don't do it that way. I may do so in the future.

Tech Convert

box does sound very interesting but with my upload speed bing 1mbps it would probs take me about 3 weeks to upload it all but thats generally the kinda thing i want was just hoping there was a way to set it up on just my local network and yeah would be brilliant if the traktor libraries were synced as i spend most of my time on the desktop i only really use the laptop for djing or if im out and about

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast