Drum Scratching
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drum Scratching

Tech Wizard

Default Drum Scratching

I'd like to learn drum scratching. Seeing YouTube videos like makes me like... gosh this is awesome! There are lots of good tutorials online. What I'd like help with is buying the equipments...

Need a controller
    And a DJ turntable & accessories
    Battle Records

What I'm concerned about is the cross fader noise. You know in some videos I hear the cross fader clicks more than the beats created. What kind of equipments can you guys suggest?

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by mrshan View Post
    I'd like to learn drum scratching. Seeing YouTube videos like makes me like... gosh this is awesome! There are lots of good tutorials online. What I'd like help with is buying the equipments...

Need a controller
    And a DJ turntable & accessories
    Battle Records

What I'm concerned about is the cross fader noise. You know in some videos I hear the cross fader clicks more than the beats created. What kind of equipments can you guys suggest?
    How about if I had said... free boobs show ... Come on guys...

Share some knowledge... Thanks!

Gear wise, you ONLY need turntables and a mixer. ANY record with drums on can be drummed like that - it helps if there is a kick and a snare close together.

Re: cross-fader noise - this is only an issue if you are using a mic to record your performance. Record from the BOOTH out on the mixer and you're not gonna hear the clicks. Or, you can put some tape at the end of the fader to stop the metal-on-metal clicks. Some mixers have an adjustable cut-in time for the x-fader - on that kind of mixer, you can even use small rubber washers to "dampen" the clicks and give you a little bit of "bounce" on your cuts.

If I was starting today, I'd go for the Traktor DVS route (traktor Scratch Pro 2.7), Native Instruments Z2 as the mixer/controller combo, any good super OEM (Technics clone) turntables (with Shure M-447 needles/carts, or even Stanton 505's), and Novation Dicers as the additional controllers.

You can get pretty much ANY battle record (digital ones are everywhere on the web!) and get a bunch of scratch sounds there.

http://www.thudrumble.com/blog/digital-thudrumble-com/

Now - you mentioned boobs?
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Wizard

Thanks a mill bro! Really appreciate the response. Ok..Native Instruments Z2 seems like a great suggestion. Anything on the lower budget side you can suggest? And a good entry level but sustainable turntable with model info so I can research.

And hope I am not breaking any forum rules here... lol

Yes ...Boobs!

dfbfd86d4135200f3a8f08db50645dba.jpg

Tech Wizard

More boobs with more replies on the way ... Woohoo!

get 1 turntable make it direct drive there's a few out there. and i'd probably go with the akai amx and serato…. with a built in innofader and serato its looking pretty good right now.

Make sure your computer has a good spec if you're running Traktor DVS, I find it a bit of a CPU hawg

Tech Guru

Q-Bert never ceases to amaze me...

Also suggestion, don't actually post boobs. You might get banned.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    Q-Bert never ceases to amaze me...

Also suggestion, don't actually post boobs. You might get banned.

Sorry guys... posting pics of might land me in trouble but you've your dirty minds. So let the imagination begin and go wild!

Q-bert also has his own online DJ school to learn scratching...http://artistworks.com/skratch-lessons-dj-qbert
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast