Scratching with Traktor

Default Scratching with Traktor

So I took a long break from mixing to focus on school (didn't really focus too much but it's w/e) and i've been getting back into it cause I just miss it. I use to do a lot of EDM/house mixes, swapping basses into vocal outros and stuff like that, simple transitions. I've always had an interest in hip-hop/rap mixing and I know a lot of the basics, filter in highs swap the basses on the outro etc. But I've been really curious in scratching just to add it to my techniques. I have an older Traktor S2 with Traktor Pro 2 and was wondering if anyone knows if there are certain settings I should alter to aide in learning how to scratch. I know I should adjust the fader sharpness but I feel that the platters and wave forms aren't responsive enough to get that actual scratch sound. Maybe it's just my technique but I was hoping someone on here has some experience with scratching on a digital controller or knows of where I can go to learn how to get better at scratching.

Thanks guys

Google "scratching on a controller digital Dj tips" they got tuts
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Mentor

For me, one of the most difficult aspects of scratching on a controller is the lack of a position indicator. While CDJs and control vinyl have this, the only controller with anything like that is the VCI-380. The S2 has very tight software-to-jogwheel integration, so you should be able to do chirps, transforms, and crabs easily enough. Orbits, flares, and tears will be much more difficult, as they require better platter-control, and the jogs on the S2 probably aren't big enough to get good platter resolution.

I learned to DJ (and started scratching) on controllers, but upgraded to a DVS system once I realized that I wanted to scratch (and had earned enough money).

Tech Mentor

You can simply use hocues as visual markers on the screen, but that's about it. If you don't have screens on the jogs like the DDJ-SX has you'll have to look at your laptop screen. But don't get an SX for scratching in Traktor as it doesn't really have the tight jogwheels like the S2/S4 has. This is by the way broken in Traktor and has nothing to do with the SX.

Using a Denon SC2000 and have no issues. I've just got back into scratching after quitting 20 odd yrs ago when I had Technics but I am very impressed with the Denons as it saves me tearing up my vinyl. In fact its a lot easier using the controllers in a way as there is none of the drag of a real turntable so a much lighter touch.

I am learning some of the newer techniques but haven't had any issues using a controller over a turntable so far and have tried most scratches. The only issue I think you might have is with beat juggling but maybe a sticker would be fine.

I've heard the Traktor controllers are very accurate so maybe they are better that the Denons but I must say, I'm not sure how you could improve on the Denons.

Heres something to get you started.

Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    Google "scratching on a controller digital Dj tips" they got tuts
    +1