I need advice on privacy during set - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

its funny, i usually have like to have a bunch of people in the booth, friends and others alike. we dance, smoke and just have an awesome time. I've meet all kinds of cool people that were just hanging out in the booth. But the places I play are usually more laid back hippie, raver, burner crowd. So we are all family. If i spin a really killer track I might wander out onto to the floor and throw a few moves down.

Once you learn to stop taking yourself so seriously, you will have WAAYY more fun!

Quote Originally Posted by 031999 View Post
    Once you learn to stop taking yourself so seriously, you will have WAAYY more fun!
    This is the key I think what this guys missing maybe

Quote Originally Posted by lucidstrings View Post
    This is the key I think what this guys missing maybe
    Literally the only difference between us and the people on the dance floor is that we comprehend how to use the equipment. lol

Besides how did you get into dj'ing...? I know I was that 13 year old at a wedding STANDING BEHIND THE DJ saying "hmmm i think I can do that!"

I was 12 listening to a real player broadcast from pirate radio in the uk and icq the guy and kinda went from there picked up some belt drive turntables and a cheap mixer and went from there progressed to cdjs a few years later then after that traktor 1.06 mixed on that for years and years and then finally bought a controller in 2007-2008 which still have to this day and been just from there got into production in early 2000-2001 when I was 16 made some decent connections but by time I was 19 my focus has shifted and went on with life in a different direction pretty much walked away from the music scene and returned in 2006 and kinda just been a hobby since

same, always been a hobby for me, with varied levels of success over the years in different cities.

Yup maybe it's my stance on it and such and that's why the fucks I give is low and don't take myself too seriously when you start on belt drive tables and beat match you learn to not take yourself too seriously because you've likely fucked up enough times to not really take yourself seriously... Nothing like fucking up a mix in a club when your 16 to learn not I take yourself seriously.... Guess different with controllers and cdjs with bpm read outs and wave forms

Like seriously quit being a diva because your playing a club just makes me shake my head when people act like that... A good Dj can roll with it and handle people around him to not throw off his game... Try djing while watching tv and learn to not need to give 100% to be 100%

Hmm....how to approach things.

I got into it from watching crappy mobile DJs before I knew they were crappy. Then someone gave me a Sasha mixtape that expanded my world of electronic music beyond just the Prodigy albums.

As for being in the booth....I had a chat with Steve Porter one night when he opened up for Sasha. People weren't allowed in the booth then, but I kind of just walked up when the bouncers weren't looking. He was cool about it. And I got to take some crappy cel phone pics of the Maven. And Steve Porter got a fan.

That's how you're supposed to do it...be human and friendly...you know, other than being the life of the party and guiding a dance floor with your (theoretically) superior musical knowledge and your ability to work a really over-glorified stereo system.

I don't think anything really bad has happened other than some guy knocking the tonearm on a TT. But, it was at a house party, and I was using Serato....so....there was collective booing followed by at least a few people saying something like "wow, you really are doing things".

Quote Originally Posted by 031999 View Post
    This was a tough task at first.. I used to be super secretive but after a while of doing it I stopped caring. You aren't going to lose your gigs to someone because they play a few of the same songs as you.

In my experience, the greater risk is giving a demo to a promoter, not getting the gig, and hearing tracks off your mix the next week.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast