I need advice on privacy during set
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default I need advice on privacy during set

Does anybody have any advice on people standing behind you while you're doing a show? This bothers me a lot because I like to keep what I do behind the decks private unless it's authorized media like photographers and the like. I put a lot of work into my sets and I'm a competitive person so I don't like when people are standing right next to me or behind me watching my every move. Not only that but I move around a lot on stage and interactive with the crowd and find people getting in my way. This is usually a resident dj at a bar or club. I tell them beforehand but maybe I come off as a prick because they look at me with a crappy look. I'm about to go buy some privacy curtains or something because it's annoying. There have been several times people have even tripped over cords and ruined my set completely . Stop being nosey and go away. I can't be the only one that has this problem or is bothered by it but I can't find any topics like this on the net. So what do you guys do? Strategically place equipment so it's an obstacle course? Hire security? Thanks guys and gals

here's some examples of what you can say.

You - "Oh hey are you staff"
    Person - "No"
    You - "Ooohh you may want to watch it, staff just busted a few people for sneaking in to the dj booth"

In this situation you are creating a fictional danger while acting as a friend, "looking out for them" as it were.

---

You - "Hey guys, I need you to be really careful! Somebody tripped over a cord last week and the music totally stopped! Everybody booed at the person who did it! I would hate for you to be that person! haha!"

In this situation you are creating a fictional setting in which they could potentially be embarrassed. No one wants that.

---

But i will say you need to get used to this kind of thing if you are going to be playing in local clubs.

Tech Mentor

Tough spot... I usually play at smaller venues lately, so I set my rig up in a spot that is kind of difficult to walk in and out of. The most annoying part of what you speak of is when those individuals try to hold conversations with you while you are working.

All in all, it is one of the many annoyances you will have to find creative ways to deal with. Agee 100%, though... it is difficult to do when you are trying not to come off as a prick..

Follow 03's advice or get over it.

also usually its pretty easy to bend drunk peoples minds to do what you need them to. haha

Tech Wizard

If you are a good & well known dj, people will probaly respect or fear you more while you dj.
    Show some attitude or they will not know who is the Putin of the djbooth :-)

Schalenberg

name your tracks:
    1. fuck off
    2. get your own tracks
    3. shazam this d*ck!

If you are worried about people tripping over cords and stuff like that then I completely understand...

If you worried about people trainspotting your tracks then get over it...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

This thread reminds me of "Boiler Room knows what you did last night."

http://brkwydln.tumblr.com/

Last edited by padi_04; 11-06-2014 at 10:48 AM. Reason: img size
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast