Did you go through this as a producer?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Did you go through this as a producer?

Hi guys,

So well I'm having this problem since quite some time and i just want to hear other peoples experiences post this. I have been producing music for a little more than a year now. Though in this time i have only managed to produce 21 songs. Now realistically speaking i genuinely know a lot about how to produce..my mixes are i believe 90% there i know how to make pads basses lead etc. so i have gone through a lot of reading and learning in this time.

But what is frustrating me is that i really really want to work hard but like it doesn't happen. Whenever i sit to produce i don't know what to start with. Everytime i have to start a new song i literally am scared and i have no clue why..i have all the time in the world..and i want to put in like 13 to 14 hours a day in this but like i get stagnant within like 4 or 5 hours..my only aim is to like just work a lot and like be able to produce a good track…thats it! neither have i found my sound and style..so i get stuck on what to add next..and this is really annoying..shouldn't it just come to me what to add next in the song What do i do?!?!

if u want to hear my work..its here…which i think is pretty average (not putting myself down but just being realistic) btw the song isn't mastered..

I know the feeling, but it comes with having to work a full time job and having another demanding hobby like playing hockey. I listen to a lot of music from my favorite artists on a daily basis and that usually gives me the inspiration I need to move forward. I'll listen to something from Dubfire and catch something really minute like a smooth transition or just a hat pattern and from there I can just start pumping out some work for a bit. Once I get to the point to where I lost my touch on the track, I save and open another one to see if I can spark any creativity.

"It's not mastered yet" is my pet peeve lol... You're song should sound pretty damn good before the mastering process even takes place. I used to say that all the time, but "it's not mastered yet" really means "my mixdown is pretty mediocre"

Moral of the story: Find some inspiration

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    "It's not mastered yet" is my pet peeve lol... You're song should sound pretty damn good before the mastering process even takes place. I used to say that all the time, but "it's not mastered yet" really means "my mixdown is pretty mediocre"

Moral of the story: Find some inspiration
    Haha..uhh give it a listen & tell me how bad is it..could you?

Quote Originally Posted by sagar4848 View Post
    Haha..uhh give it a listen & tell me how bad is it..could you?
    I'm not saying it's bad lol, but it's the truth about the mixdown. I can give it a listen when I get home and let you know what I think though

Tech Mentor

lol…alright…what i actually meant by not 'mastered yet' is that it isn't as loud as it should be

none the less I'm sure its not the best mix either though…let me know what you think

Quote Originally Posted by sagar4848 View Post
    lol…alright…what i actually meant by not 'mastered yet' is that it isn't as loud as it should be

none the less I'm sure its not the best mix either though…let me know what you think
    Gotcha, like I said, not a stab at you or your track because I haven't listened to it yet lol. But I will report back and let you know!

Tech Guru

it sounds cool, the sounds are pretty preset sounding but its a good work in progress.
    I produce too and I am never one of those people that spends loong ass time trying to come up with stuff. I only open my DAW when I actually have an idea and then go from there, so putting stuff together takes a very short time.

First off, 2 songs / month isn't that bad IMO. I don't get the people that can put out a song a week or less. It takes me a week just to get the mix where I want it. For instance, my last song took me all of about eight hours to arrange it and do the sound design. Obviously I tweaked it from there, but it was two weeks to get the mix where I liked it.

In your scenario, I'd have a few songs going at any given time. One might not provoke inspiration whereas another may. I always come up with new concepts while doing sound design/arrangement for a song, so I try to save them to another project to come back to - or to work on when I'm just not feeling my latest song.

Regarding this song of yours...claps and hats were too quiet to me. They should help drive the song along, but they were too off in the distance to do that. You're also missing some mid-highs on almost all your instruments and overall, which makes the sounds kind of closed, not open is the best way for me to explain it. Take that bassline that's prominent through most of the song - add a db or two or three somewhere between 3 - 8 kHz with a mid to low Q level. A/B with what you have vs that and see if there's a difference. Your bass that came in at 2 minutes was a lot more open. Overall, the song was lacking energy, probably from the low volume claps and hats and the too much low end in the song. Try again adding some dbs to the 3 - 8 kHz on your 2 bus and see what kind of difference that makes. Musically and arrangement, I dug it, and I'm in your shoes - at about a year of trying this. But those are the things that popped out immediately to me.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by enorjy View Post
    it sounds cool, the sounds are pretty preset sounding but its a good work in progress.
    I produce too and I am never one of those people that spends loong ass time trying to come up with stuff. I only open my DAW when I actually have an idea and then go from there, so putting stuff together takes a very short time.
    Ahh thanks mate..though I've designed all the sounds by myself…i hate using presets…hopefully soon enough ill be able to design more interesting and different sounds.

Tech Mentor

@ImNotDedYet

Thanks for you tips!
    Yeah now to hear the song with all your tips i do too feel the claps and the hats were kindoff distant…they could definitely have been a bit more upfront. Well, i dint know there was too much low end guess its my untreated room causing this low end and mid high's issue. will have to start checking on some monitor headphones :/

Ahh well at least you liked it musically. Im glad. Thanks for the help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast