MissPinky for Max4Live - Page 2
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mudo

Check this, it has video inside!

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/0...ton/#more-9216

Cheers

Ok so i have been playing with this patch for a while now, i thought id share some more of my thoughts on this matter.

I worked out that you can have 2 instances of this patch running, its just that you have to rename the send and receive objects in the second instance because otherwise the 2 patches will crosstalk to the other one.

So you could run as many instances of this patch as you like

I am slowly dissecting this patch and have a few things in the pipeline that i plan to throw in. Namely starting with cue point support and beatjump support (i have a drop cue function and a cue play function already coded, this obviously only works in relative mode).

Just a note to anyone who plans to use this patch set your threshold to about -45db and your sharp setting to about 6.5 to get stable turntable control.

If anyone else out there is doing edit work to this patch id love to talk to them about what can be done

Another thing is that currently theres no way for decent playhead control over the ableton play clips - so its impossible to actually scratch a clip inside of Ableton but this is the next best thing. With a few more revisions we will actually be able to scratch clips in live which will be very nice !

This current code base will outdated when we get better control over the Ableton playhead but it is still very fun to play with - id definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to get their hands dirty in m4l and wants to run turntables. For everyone else Serato and the bridge would probably make the better of the two choices for the moment, but i can definitely see MsPpinky backed by a strong development community being far better functionality than Serato in the long run. That said the mspinky dev community isn't very big, nor is it very strong at the moment - hopefully more people like myself and more experienced max users will jump on board and take out djing to the next level of awesomeness =D
    Last edited by BentoSan; 03-11-2010 at 11:30 AM.

Tech Mentor

I'm interested in helping develop this patch. Lately I have not been using my turntables, or Ms Pinky. Been doing a lot of stuff with my band. However I would like to get this thing uber functional.

Quote Originally Posted by JuanSOLO View Post
    I'm interested in helping develop this patch. Lately I have not been using my turntables, or Ms Pinky. Been doing a lot of stuff with my band. However I would like to get this thing uber functional.
    I am learning as i go and having lots of fun doing it, really anyone with a bit of dedication to the cause can start contributing even after just a few weeks of learning M4L. Let me know when your up, running

M4L is the damn future man. The future.
    I used to link music in my signature but nowadays I don't.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    I am learning as i go and having lots of fun doing it, really anyone with a bit of dedication to the cause can start contributing even after just a few weeks of learning M4L. Let me know when your up, running

I will open it up later this evening and see whats crackin.

When you say Beatjump support what do you actually mean? Like an intergrated effect, or something else?

My personal preference is not to add any effects, and keep things modular in Ableton. Giving the user the choice to decide effects.

Quote Originally Posted by janzak View Post
    M4L is the damn future man. The future.
    Amen to that !

If you get the feeling Traktor is holding back your creativity when it comes to what you can do then this is definitely the way to go - the possibilities are endless.

Commercial software has always sort inspiration from the modular graphic programming audio development community(Tim Exile with Reaktor working with Native Insturments is a perfect example). I think we will see the same sort of thing with the M4L community where the software will be developed faster and with more functionality by the community than the closed systems (like Traktor or Serato) can keep up with - interesting times indeed.

I will open it up later this evening and see whats crackin.

When you say Beatjump support what do you actually mean? Like an intergrated effect, or something else?

My personal preference is not to add any effects, and keep things modular in Ableton. Giving the user the choice to decide effects.

By beatjumps i mean like the beatjumps in Traktor (except with a bit of extra functionality). However currently is impossible to read the tempo of the clip inside ableton (we can only get the master tempo). So its impossible to work out the tempo of the clip without manually inputing it, and of course knowing the BPM is essential to knowing how much the clip needs to jump forward/backwards to do beat jumps correctly.

Currently feeding the M4L object "cue #" commands is the key to creating cue points/beatjump and looping functionality - its fully possible its just that no one has coded it yet. I am still mastering the skills but i am getting a pretty good idea of how to handle this stuff, my next biggest step is to work out how pattrstorage or coll object works so i can get the functionality of storing cue point info of tracks based by the track name. I thought about using Id3 tags but i seem to find an object that can read/write the id3 tags that i would like - if anyone could point me to such an object that would be nice !
    Last edited by BentoSan; 03-11-2010 at 11:57 AM.

Tech Mentor

Just a thought on Clip Tempo. If the clip had the tempo labeled somewhere in the name like "song name 140 BPM," then using something like the select or match whatever the max object is that picks something out of text and numbers based on a match. You could then "get name" of the clip and match the tempo in some patching fashion. Just thinking of the top of my head, but something like that may be a workaround.

On cue points what come comes to mind for me is that most of the tracks I play are already warped. It's just how I do things. I haven't done a lot of work with clips in M4L, but is it possible to get warp marker info from the clips? If so with a pre-warped track you could just add new warp markers, not for warping but for marking, grab that information in M4L as cue points?

Just a thought on Clip Tempo. If the clip had the tempo labeled somewhere in the name like "song name 140 BPM," then using something like the select or match whatever the max object is that picks something out of text and numbers based on a match. You could then "get name" of the clip and match the tempo in some patching fashion. Just thinking of the top of my head, but something like that may be a workaround.

On cue points what come comes to mind for me is that most of the tracks I play are already warped. It's just how I do things. I haven't done a lot of work with clips in M4L, but is it possible to get warp marker info from the clips? If so with a pre-warped track you could just add new warp markers, not for warping but for marking, grab that information in M4L as cue points?

Yeah your idea is one work around i thought of but i dont really think it is a very reliable work around, but it is something to consider. Personally i would prefer that you have to manually write the BPM into the patch itself and it saves it in a table that can be recalled when you next load up the song- cue point info would also be saved in this same table.

Also no its not possible to get the position of warp markers - i thought of this too sadly

The best solution i could come up with given the lack of support for reading/writing id3 tags is to create a table using the pattrstorage object. If someone could code or find a id3tag reader object that would be wicked - ive looked out there but turned up nothing and my programming skills in Java are non existent so coding the object myself at this time is out of the question.

Learning M4L is hard enough without also learning Java to make my own objects at this stage in proceedings - perhaps down the track once i have mastered M4L ill start looking at trying my hand at creating my own objects.

Its great to see some discussion on this though ! Hopefully we can keep the ball rolling on the project
    Last edited by BentoSan; 03-11-2010 at 12:52 PM.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast