USB3 External HD - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

I have 10 year old regular drives also but they've never been in a mobile environment

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by lucidstrings View Post
    In correct a properly formatted drive after 2 years of service will not benchmark the same as it did at new... Do I need to good the benchmarks to support this... Where are your supporting documents....

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive

Officially I believe the beliefs is 3-6 years is how long you will get out of a drive before it starts to officially degrade....

A reformatted drive does breathe new life into it.... I think your missing my point that a SSD Is more reliable in a mobile setting and faster even a full SSD drive will be faster then a regular drive.....

http://mobile.serverwatch.com/trends...ical-Disks.htm
    Youe made the claim, you need to provide the evidence. Until then its just your opinion, not how hard drives actually operate.

SSD drives are irrelevant to this particular point. You claimed that normal drives degrade after one year, which is untrue but you are still fighting that point without proof.

There is an enormous amount of superstition in IT, when its very easy to make judgements based on data and testing.

In IT, things that have a known failure rate have a dollar value attached to the frequency and impact of the failure.

We dont count hard drives as an extra cost after one year. The lifecycle is about 3-4 years depending on application and location.

We run on redundancy. A brand new hard drive can fail tomorrow. A 5 year old one can run for another 5 years. We assume that every drive will fail at any time and plan for it.

The home user should do exactly the same, just on a smaller scale.

http://www.auslogics.com/en/articles/hard-disk-failure/ anything mechanical degrades it's the nature of it... To which it becomes a noticeable issue is not what I'm debating. I'm stating that mechanical medium starts degrading the second it starts... Your statement is that it does not start to wear until a predefined amount of time... Which is ridiculous... Tires that have 80,000 tread life does not mean that they maintain the same amount of tread for 80,000 it just means they maintain a percentage of tread within a standard measurement that is acceptable... The nature of what is or isn't acceptable is a straight opinion as its mine that there is noticeable speed decrease on mobile drives after a year...

This is due to the more extreme conditions the drive is put through as opposed to a desktop drive... This is a fact.. Desktop hard drives maybe moved a dozen times in a year mostly never powered on.. A mobile/external drive will be moved that many times in the corse of a week most the time powered on... I don't get what's so hard to reason that statement and why you would argue... What's acceptable to me may be different then you.

There is a reason why every computer I own contains a primary solid state large enough to store applications on... I like results click open power launch in 25s or less... Not to mention added benefits of a solid state.

Using the tire tread comparison I can further my statement by saying average 80,000 is that highway miles vs city vs gravel is that in a southern climate of desert climate or northern climate all that becomes environmental variables much like the mobile factor I keep trying to iterate.

Tech Guru

http://www.auslogics.com/en/articles/hard-disk-failure/ anything mechanical degrades it's the nature of it... To which it becomes a noticeable issue is not what I'm debating. I'm stating that mechanical medium starts degrading the second it starts... Your statement is that it does not start to wear until a predefined amount of time... Which is ridiculous... Tires that have 80,000 tread life does not mean that they maintain the same amount of tread for 80,000 it just means they maintain a percentage of tread within a standard measurement that is acceptable... The nature of what is or isn't acceptable is a straight opinion as its mine that there is noticeable speed decrease on mobile drives after a year...

This is due to the more extreme conditions the drive is put through as opposed to a desktop drive... This is a fact.. Desktop hard drives maybe moved a dozen times in a year mostly never powered on.. A mobile/external drive will be moved that many times in the corse of a week most the time powered on... I don't get what's so hard to reason that statement and why you would argue... What's acceptable to me may be different then you.

Mostly because Ive been responsible for buying and supporting laptops and I know about things like failure rates. I dont care how you use your computers, but if you make a claim I know to be incorrect and give it as advice to another poster, then Im going to add my 2c. There is enough misinformation about computers as it is, without nonsense like replacing your hard disks every year.

My current laptop hard disk is nearly 5 years old. No change in performance. No errors. I also look after hundreds like it. Only a tiny tiny percentage of all the laptops we buy have a hard disk failure within their warranty period.

Its literally like 3 out of every 300.

Im not arguing with you about SSDs, im trying to explain to you that you have a superstitious belief about hard drive failure, not a factual one.

Tech Guru

Using the tire tread comparison I can further my statement by saying average 80,000 is that highway miles vs city vs gravel is that in a southern climate of desert climate or northern climate all that becomes environmental variables much like the mobile factor I keep trying to iterate.
    Using car analogies is the fastest way to not be taken seriously in a technical PC discussion. Your analogy is literally meaningless. There are no touching parts in a hard drive for a start and it lives inside a hermetically sealed case.

It isn't incorrect it's mechanics... You did nail the big point on the head earlier though... It's where monetary factors come into play...the fleet I look after time is money 135$ an hour can't afford to have a wait longer then possible and failure in field could result in millions lost to customer.... Standard drives failed more then SSD... Go from failure twice a year to only 1 in 3 years... I don't have time to babysit hard drive failures and slow drives when you upgrade 150gb of ISO files usb3 and SSD is your friend...

I'm sorry computers have a lifespan of 4 years for the most part and what is acceptable in your field may not be in my field... Time is a luxury my industry doesn't normally have..

And being the IT guy wasn't really a choice more of got sluffed off because one wasn't enough for 5 locations... With that came a few things I don't fuck around and cheap out I have a budget and set requirements for purchases..

All this is not relevant as my main statement is and will be hard drives in a mobile environment will suffer more failure and slow down... I'm not talking desktop drives that don't move I'm talking drives that get left poweredon and thrown in a vehicle and go for a drive....

Take a drive power it up start transferring files to if hold it in you hand and slowly start moving it .... As you do this you will see it struggle to copy data it will start returning errors... It will also start to become noisy that noise is the head moving across the disk.....:

Better yet examine the platter of a mobile drive vs a desktop you will see more physical damage on mobile vs desktop....

They don't make contact if left stationary if not left stationary they make contact causing wear

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast