The Art Of Knob Twisting?
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Default The Art Of Knob Twisting?

As someone who is just getting into live DJ-ing (Ive been producing electronic music for a few years now though), I'm a little confused as to what most "stars" of the scene are doing up there on stage. Obviously theres the transitions between songs, some slight Eq-ing in-between, and figuring out/loading up the next track, assuming it isn't a pre-made mix. But most of that can be done within the first 30 seconds of a track. There seems to be alot of fake knob twists, exaggerated tapping of stuff, and just overall movements that arent actually doing anything. Is there actually something going on here, or is it just to look busy?

It all kind of seems inauthentic. I get that it adds a little bit of a stage show, and it looks like your engaged in your performance. In no way am I trying to be negative about it, I'm just trying to understand the live aspect of DJs. Can someone enlighten me on this ? Thanks

Look Busy. Get Paid

Welcome to the Forum matey.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Look Busy. Get Paid

Welcome to the Forum matey.
    Lol I guess that makes sense. And thanks !

Adding FX?

Doing Bass Cuts?

Cue point jumping?
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Mentor

It's partly doing nothing and small adjustments on the way. You can also use the EQ knobs to do create effects.
    http://www.mixcloud.com/Olsgaard/
    House/Techno Dj from Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by Jester
    Look Busy. Get Paid
    Words to live by.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Banned

Well you would look silly doing nothing.

Pressing record, changing from one fx to another kind of fx controlling the amount of wet/dry/fx. Song selection, favorites, playlists deck selection, gain multiply that by 2 or 3 and then I think you've got everything covered oh and pressing record again to stop recording.
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

There are people who actually do things.

Mostly, it's people needlessly tweaking EQs or Effects or drumming on cuepoints to "add live flavor" to their set....which more or less actually means that they're just screwing up the groove and ruining their music to look busy.

Sometimes, they're de-activated effects or dead mixer channels....which actually makes me feel a little better...since then I actually get to listen to the music.

Also, if you are using effects and what not, you probably need to reset your knobs when you're done....so the next time you turn it on, it's non in some weird state that immediately destroys the music. You might as well do that in a way that makes you look like you're doing things.

A few people are actually "making music" live. How live it is depends on the artist, but don't think that's a new thing....groups like Orbital, the Prodigy, the KLF, and Underworld have been doing it for decades (or at least did it decades ago). Their knob tweaking actually does things.

Mostly, it's DJs puttng their "performance" and ego above the music they're playing because they don't have the balls to just stand there and enjoy the music they're supposedly curating...probably because the vast majority of them don't actually like the top40 remixes and mainstream dance garbage that they play.

Quote Originally Posted by Most
    Sometimes, they're de-activated effects or dead mixer channels....which actually makes me feel a little better...since then I actually get to listen to the music.
    This is a great point. You definitely have to switch off "DJ Mode" as much as you can during a night - it is mentally exhausting...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast