The Art Of Knob Twisting? - Page 15
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
    Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    No, running an analog mixer too hot was kind of always a bad idea. .

It's sad that the last generation's bad habits mean we have to deal with meters that don't mean anything.
    Context is everything. At least you could get away with slightly distorting the output if you needed to. With digital its not an option.

I am in full agreement with how you articulated the issues with meters on another post. Its really a poor situation.

Yeah, but I wouldn't except as a mistake.

It's the sound guy's job to make it loud. My job is to make it good and clean.

Plus...at home, I don't run a DSP or limiter, so I could destroy my speakers like that, especially since that rane doesn't even go nonlinear until you hit +25dBu or so.

That being said, I kinda want to...there are some tracks I want to play that don't have the punch to fit in with a lot of others. Ran mentioned that in his remix decks tutorial and suggested just playing another kick/bass loop. I want to try it with a really nice compressor instead....set everything up with the headroom and threshold so it doesn't touch normal mixing but I can run a track hot to let the compressor fatten it up.

The question is whether I want to round trip through my interface again to use a model or see if I can find somewhere to rent or borrow a 33609 or g bus or 5500 or something.

Sorry guys, I had to resurrect this...

Im watching a RL Grime mix from mixmag Lab, the first song starts playing and dude moves the bass knob from 12 to 12 back to 12 then all the way to 12, right hand 12, left hand 12, right right left... For like a minute. Im getting anxiety from watching dude molest this one knob, On the opening track, with nothing else playing on any other channel.

I realize some people have this sickness where they have to touch knobs but I have a sickness where it freaks me out to see it. Like, I'm getting nervous watching dude do so much nothing to this knob.

/rant

Quote Originally Posted by William Gibson View Post

Im watching a RL Grime mix from mixmag Lab, the first song starts playing and dude moves the bass knob from 12 to 12 back to 12 then all the way to 12, right hand 12, left hand 12, right right left... For like a minute. Im getting anxiety from watching dude molest this one knob, On the opening track, with nothing else playing on any other channel.

I realize some people have this sickness where they have to touch knobs but I have a sickness where it freaks me out to see it. Like, I'm getting nervous watching dude do so much nothing to this knob.

/rant
    I'm with ya, if I have nothing to do knob wise I just dance.

Quote Originally Posted by William Gibson View Post

/rant
    This honestly made me cringe...

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415