Need Help with Traktor Pro versus Traktor Scratch Pro
    Tech Convert

Default Need Help with Traktor Pro versus Traktor Scratch Pro

Hi, I thought that Traktor Pro and Traktor Scratch Pro are the same but I guess I am wrong. I been doing to music and I am moving over into DJ'ing so it's a little new to me. I have a Pioneer DJM 2000 Nexus and CDJ 2000 Nexus. I was learning to scratch and I was using Traktor Pro 2.7. Out of curiosity I used RekordBox on my CDJ with the same song and the quality sounds so much better as I am scratching on Rekordbox. I went on youtube and looked up instructions on how to setup Traktor for scratching and followed all the steps. So my question is do I need to go to Scratch Pro to get a better sound quality?

P.S. It's not a latency issue it's just that the sound in Traktor sounds like it has this weird artifacts or phasing sound to it. It is just not as crisp as RekordBox.

Thanks for any help I appreciate it!!!

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Traktor Pro and Traktor Scratch Pro are the same application - the only difference is that the serial number you have unlocks the scratch functionality if you have TSP serial number. If you buy TSP you can unlock the scratch functionality in your current Traktor Pro installation simply by entering the new TSP serial number in Service Centre.

If you want to scratch with Traktor you need to change the Key Lock setting in Preferences to 'scratch'. This is probably why you are getting artefacts as it is now set to Normal.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Traktor Pro and Traktor Scratch Pro are the same application - the only difference is that the serial number you have unlocks the scratch functionality if you have TSP serial number. If you buy TSP you can unlock the scratch functionality in your current Traktor Pro installation simply by entering the new TSP serial number in Service Centre.

If you want to scratch with Traktor you need to change the Key Lock setting in Preferences to 'scratch'. This is probably why you are getting artefacts as it is now set to Normal.
    Thank you for your help with the information on the differences. As far as the Key Lock settings I had this set to scratch. I have the other setting in Key Lock set to HiQ.

I feel like Karlos's post wasn't quite descriptive enough.

When he said "scratch functionality" he means vinyl/timecode control of Traktor's playback, not scratching via HID controllers. If it's working the way you want (e.g., you can control things; you don't want to use DVS timecode) then there's no reason to upgrade. If you use the same settings, it'll sound the same. If you're not using time code, it'll literally be throwing away money.

Try the Key Lock setting.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    I feel like Karlos's post wasn't quite descriptive enough.

When he said "scratch functionality" he means vinyl/timecode control of Traktor's playback, not scratching via HID controllers. If it's working the way you want (e.g., you can control things; you don't want to use DVS timecode) then there's no reason to upgrade. If you use the same settings, it'll sound the same. If you're not using time code, it'll literally be throwing away money.

Try the Key Lock setting.
    Ah yeah your robably right cus he was taking about scratching with CDJ2000's. I was assuming timecode use.
    In that case there is zero need to change to TSP

Tech Convert

Thank you both for your replies and help with understanding the difference between Traktor Pro and Traktor Scratch Pro. As far as my settings in the Key Lock section in the Transport menu I have Scratch set and HiQ. I still get this weird phasing artifact sounds when just doing simple baby scratches. I am not sure what this is. Thanks again!

So, I don't recall that happening when I was using platers (DDJ-SX). I think I might have had economy (or whatever) set instead of HiQ, but I'm honestly not sure. I definitely don't recall an issue.

Have you tried turning the latency up one tick? Your computer might just be having a bit of an issue keeping up....I feel like that should lead to dropouts not artifacts, but...idk. It doesn't do it when I "scratch" to find a cuepoint with my X1s.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    So, I don't recall that happening when I was using platers (DDJ-SX). I think I might have had economy (or whatever) set instead of HiQ, but I'm honestly not sure. I definitely don't recall an issue.

Have you tried turning the latency up one tick? Your computer might just be having a bit of an issue keeping up....I feel like that should lead to dropouts not artifacts, but...idk. It doesn't do it when I "scratch" to find a cuepoint with my X1s.
    I moved the latency up and still get this weird sound like when you warp audio in Cubase or Ableton and the sample is playing faster than the original tempo and it has that weird scrambled phased sound. I mainly hear it when I am scratching on a vocal sample or a sample with a lot of instruments playing. Thanks again for the reply!!!