Akai AMX AFX Mapping wanted - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

The Traktorbible site has this useful command finder for Traktor: http://www.traktorbible.com/articles...nd-finder.aspx

Thanks Stewe, that is very handy. More testing:
    - The cue buttons do act a little strange pressing one turns the other off. To listen to both tracks you need to press both cue buttons at the same time. Not a big deal.
    - The cross fader reverse switch does not work as expected. It turns all routing of audio to the decks to off when switched on and when you switch it back it stays that way. I don't need this function so I will think up something else for it. Maybe switch the AMX into track prep mode.
    - The browse knob does not have pre-listen mapped. I will work on that tomorrow.

It is unfortunate that there doesn't seem to be a way to get the touch strip to work as this setup would compete with the S8 minus the screens of course.

I have read reviews from people stating that the AMX does not have enough output power. I think it is insane what it is capable of, I am running one AMX and two AFXs off one passive USB hub hooked up to a 2013 Macbook Air. The LEDS are ridiculously bright, the headphone output is more than enough and the main output is very loud plugged directly into my foldback (Yamaha DXR12) via a RCA to TRS cable. When I hook it up to my Behringer XENYX Q502USB mixing desk it will be plenty loud through my front of house speakers.
    Perhaps the USB port other reviewers are running it off is underpowered or they are plugging it into crap gear.

Pluses over Traktor S4 MK1
    - Half the size - all three can be packed sideways in a medium pelican case with plenty of room for a small mixing desk, cables, headphones, microphone and cables.
    - Better filter options (the capacitive knobs in touch mode are great)
    - More powerful LEDs & more saturated colours on the velocity pads on the AFX
    - Velocity pads feel much nicer on the AFX
    - No power pack required (all run off passive USB hub)
    - More intuitive effects interface on the AFX - control six effects per deck without toggling any switches.
    - Capacitive touch knobs add a new element to effects on the AFX

Default Akai AFX MIDI LED Colours

I have spent the last two nights working out all the LED colours:
    Colour Midi Dull Midi Medium Midi Bright Midi Lighter
    OFF
    White 42 63
    Off White 41
    White Blue 21 26
    Red 16 32 48
    Orange 36 52 56
    Peach 37 57 53 58
    Light Yellow 61 62
    Yellow 40 60
    Lime 020? 24 44
    Pale Green 45
    Green 4 8 12 28
    Turquoise 13 29
    Blue Green 9 46
    Light Cyan 25 14 30
    Cyan 6 7 11
    Pale Blue 22 23 27 47
    Baby Blue 5
    Blue 1 2 3
    Purple Blue 19
    Violet 35
    Light Violet 39 43
    Purple 18
    Pink Purple 17 34 55
    Magenta 33 50 51
    Light Pink 38 59
    Pink 54
    Pink Red 49

There doesn't seem to be any pattern to how they are ordered. Perhaps if I looked at their values in HEX or binary they would make more sense. The final column is the same brightness as the column next to it but it is whiter/lighter.

I am still a long way off from creating a mapping but this might help someone who wants to play.
    Last edited by danblacklock; 02-01-2015 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Added Table instead of screenshot

Cheers for your great input.
    I've read the manual but I couldn't find anything about MIDI map characters to start one from scratch... But if ether you or somebody else in this Forum community is willing to chip in for an AFX then would be very glad to provide a good solid Traktor mapping based on Serato mapping work flow VS some other ideas and feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by danblacklock View Post
    - The cue buttons do act a little strange pressing one turns the other off. To listen to both tracks you need to press both cue buttons at the same time. Not a big deal.
    Sounds like it's a firmware thing. Pressing a button sends a note ON message for the first button plus the note OFF for the second button. This is useful feature when you're having a good monitoring and you don't really have to be switching to your headphone mix very often. I use the same principal for fx routing to decks in my mappings to faster my flow.

It is unfortunate that there doesn't seem to be a way to get the touch strip to work as this setup would compete with the S8 minus the screens of course.
    What is the command that you had already tried to map to the strip? Note that if your touch strip works in absolute mode (same as the standard Knob 0-127) than the "Deck Common>Jog Turn" wouldn't work.

I updated my last post with a table of all the LED colours instead of a screenshot.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    What is the command that you had already tried to map to the strip? Note that if your touch strip works in absolute mode (same as the standard Knob 0-127) than the "Deck Common>Jog Turn" wouldn't work.
    I tied to map it to Seek Position, it works but it doesn't matter where you touch the strip or what direction you swipe in; it always jumps backwards an amount based on the sensitivity.

I would like to map the seek bar LEDs to show how far the track has played through, how do I find out what Channel that is on?

And I can't work out the MIDI channels for the 7 segment display. Is there software out there to batch send MIDI commands so I can narrow it down?

I have done further investigation of the touch strip by using Snoize MIDI Monitor. It is sending lots of "Breath Control (course)" data.
    If I apply enough pressure to the touch strip I can get it to output each of its 127 states as I drag my finger across its surface.

Pretty cool but it doesn't bode well as I can't see anything about "Breath Control" on these forums.

Update - I have everything working now - touch strip, seek position touch strip LEDs, 7 segment display, capacitive touch effect knobs, etc. I ended up sifting through each CC# until I saw the output change.

One interesting "feature" is that switching decks changes almost all the MIDI commands, I am not sure if this is standard practice (this is my first go at mapping) but it is going to be quite time consuming setting up the other three decks. Therefore a mapping worth sharing is at least another week or two away.

Lightbulb Akai AFX Traktor mapping version 0.1.0

I have uploaded version 0.1.0 of my mapping here: https://maps.djtechtools.com/mappings/4017
    Last edited by danblacklock; 02-01-2015 at 10:05 PM.

It's because sometimes TSI comes registered an XML file type. Zip the file before uploading and let me know if you still have issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    It's because sometimes TSI comes registered an XML file type. Zip the file before uploading and let me know if you still have issue.
    Thanks for the quick reply Stewe. I just zipped it, same error.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast