Starting equipment for a newbie

Default Starting equipment for a newbie

Hello everyone (sorry for bad english)

I have some experience from past at djing.I couldnt continue because of work&school but now i want to start learning

My cousin went to military so he give his cdj to me (pioneer cmx 3000).Now i have a cdj only

So what i need to start home djing.Im not looking too expensive stuff for start

Should i buy a controller?

Can i use that cdj without a mixer?

Is this a good stuff (MixVibes u-mix controller)

Thanks for reading

Quote Originally Posted by lunattic View Post
    Hello everyone (sorry for bad english)

I have some experience from past at djing.I couldnt continue because of work&school but now i want to start learning

My cousin went to military so he give his cdj to me (pioneer cmx 3000).Now i have a cdj only

So what i need to start home djing.Im not looking too expensive stuff for start

Should i buy a controller?

Can i use that cdj without a mixer?

Is this a good stuff (MixVibes u-mix controller)

Thanks for reading
    I don't know. that cmx 3000 looks cool. you can contact pioneer by email at poccs@pioneer-usa.com

and go to www.tomlee.ca and contact them by email to. they should answer ny questions you have.
    Last edited by dj max bradley; 11-22-2014 at 08:21 PM.

No, you can't use it without a mixer. But if you want to DJ with CDs, you could do worse than getting one for free. It's old, but it was pretty decent when it was new. It's not much for scratching, but you can definitely learn to mix on it.

There are a lot of mixers that you can get to use with it that depend on your budget. I'd look into 19" rackmount mixers and a case that will hold them together just out of convenience. If you have a budget, let us know what it is and we can recommend specifics.

If you want to get a controller, that's a different animal. I like DJing that way, but you need a laptop that will run your software, and you have to want to use it. Again...we need to know your budget before we can give real recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    No, you can't use it without a mixer. But if you want to DJ with CDs, you could do worse than getting one for free. It's old, but it was pretty decent when it was new. It's not much for scratching, but you can definitely learn to mix on it.

There are a lot of mixers that you can get to use with it that depend on your budget. I'd look into 19" rackmount mixers and a case that will hold them together just out of convenience. If you have a budget, let us know what it is and we can recommend specifics.

If you want to get a controller, that's a different animal. I like DJing that way, but you need a laptop that will run your software, and you have to want to use it. Again...we need to know your budget before we can give real recommendations.
    Thanks for replies

My budget is around 500-600$

I have laptop just bought new

My goal is to learn,improve myself on djing with not much complex stuff.I found mixer cdj is bit confusing and controllers have better,more user friendly concept

Are there any benefits that controllers have more than my old stuff because i dont want to waste my money on same thing

Thanks again

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    we need to know your budget before we can give real recommendations.
    This sentence should be a must read before anybody asks this question again.

OP you can get a good cheap mixer for around $300.

My goal is to learn,improve myself on djing with not much complex stuff.I found mixer cdj is bit confusing and controllers have better,more user friendly concept
    Mixer/cdj and controllers do basically the same thing. It's not about being user friendly or not, just slightly different ways of working.

Are there any benefits that controllers have more than my old stuff because i dont want to waste my money on same thing
    Controllers can do more. And a lot of people find that it's more convenient to keep all of your music on the laptop instead of burning CDs all the time.

For a beginner who wants to learn the "right way", ignoring all of the extra features/capabilities of software is probably for the best.

So its totally up to you.

With that budget, I'd want to spend it on an NI S2, Sony mdr-v6 headphones, and a 'computer speaker' 2.1 system to practice on if you go with the controller. You might also be able to sell the cmx.

If you wanted to go with the cdjs, I'd buy the same speakers and headphones and see what I could find for a mixer. A 19" mixer makes the most sense if you're going to put it and the cdjs in a rack case. But, they're also huge if you're not going to do that.