Maschine License Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Maschine License Question

What exactly is the license for? Is it to actually be able to use the Maschine, or is it to use the software it comes with?

Someone may have bought a second hand one which should be arriving tomorrow but NI hasn't got back to the seller yet about freeing the license up (which apparently they can be hard work/slow with). If say....someone managed to get hold of a not entirely legal version of the software would it work fully for the time being until it can be registered officially?

The license is just for the software.

And every time I've sold NI software licenses, NI has been pretty good/quick about it. I don't think it was instant, but I don't think I waited more than a day either.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Beware: If it's Maschine MK1 then your ok with the hardware. Maschine MK2 has separate hardware and software serial numbers.
    You cannot register the MK2 hardware until the software is registered. Registering the hardware is optional.

Has the seller transferred ownership or just deregistered the product(s).
    NI are usually pretty speedy with both cases as it's pretty straight forward IF the seller has given NI all the details they need.

Thanks, Karlos. I didn't know that.

Do you know why it changed?

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Do you know why it changed?
    I don't have too much to do with the Maschine side these days but I's guess it's just following in the NI pattern of software & hardware bundling similar to Traktor Pro and the associated controllers.

Tech Guru

Turned out it was pretty fast. I don't know if he transferred the ownership or deregistered it but I was able to register it today?

One issue I'm having is being able to play a track somewhere else (iTunes or Chrome) other than on the Maschine software and have it also come through my monitors. I'm using a cheap usb soundcard as a jack as I broke the one on my laptop and I don't have a decent audio interface yet but that's never been an issue before.

Anyone know of any settings I can change to try and resolve this? I like to be able to listen to other stuff for inspiration and ideas.

Select that interface as the main out for your laptop.

On osx it's under sound in preferences. No idea how to do it on windows.

Tech Guru

It already is. Not sure what the issue is.

Not had much time to play around with it yet but something that's immediately come to my attention is whether to use the Maschine software for almost everything apart from mixing down, or to use Ableton which I'm used to and just use the hardware for drumming stuff in.

The main reason I bought the Maschine is because everyone talks about how fast you can finish tracks on it. Without wasting too much time finding out for myself, would you have to use it with the Maschine software almost all the time to benefit from this or will it be as quick in Abes?

It works better with its own software. Without that, it does Mackie control emulation and has done mappings for live. But if I already used live and wanted a step sequencer and what not, I'd buy a push instead.

Tech Guru

Hmmm perhaps I should've gone with the Push. From what I can tell you can't even drum stuff straight into Ableton?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast