Traktor Dropping ALAC support - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by space monkey View Post
    Your comments are valid and I can empathize.
    When I changed from FLAC to AIF I was in a similar situation except my decision was more or less voluntary. When I started replacing my FLAC encoded tracks I simply re-encoded into AIF and deleted my old track. Traktor would notify me of the missing track(s) and I would point it to the correct folder et viola, the tracks would re-import with stripes/tags/grid/cues. Maybe this would work the same for you? Would save you a lot of time and perhaps worth looking into.

I should note that going from mp3 to FLAC years ago was a nightmare because the grid would offset using the aforementioned method.
    Thanks for your input, and this is probably my first option should NI not provide any tools for us. Ill start doing some conversion tests of the Traktor library using your method this weekend.

The issues with AIFF is storage space, which just means I need to rethink my entire storage and backup system. Ill have to add more raid drives and rebuild the array. Ill need up to %50 more storage and backup on each computer.

I built a file management and backup system based on the filetypes Traktor officially supported. I thought it was going to be good for years.

The time and cost investment isnt negligable.

And to be honest, I have zero confidence that NI wont do to AIFF on PC the exact same thing they just did to ALAC.

Actually that should work. I just remembered being surprised how possible it was when I switched from wav to aiff. Pointing it at the new files worked, and it surprised me that it kept everything. I was planning on redoing beat grids and doing everything else.

Tech Mentor

I was with you until you said you used iTunes on Windows... dude use Foobar 2000 instead, is the best!
    sounds like your in a bind though, hope NI sort it out in an update pretty soon.

I ditched Traktor 3 years ago I still install and update it... I really don't know why... Bought a serato Setup and felt it provided a more authentic feel that I was lacking

Quote Originally Posted by Mojaxx View Post
    That's really, really bad form on NI's part.

I had a similar problem when I started using Rekordbox recently; ALAC isn't supported, and that has been my lossless format of choice for a long time. The difference there, though, is that I knew that going in; it's never supported ALAC.

Having support, and then taking it away, is not on.
    There is nothing stopping Pioneer from supporting FLAC, apart from Pioneer. Same applies to Apple and iTunes/iDevices. I use FLAC, I'd like if I could also use it on my iPhone, or sync it into Rekordbox, but in the meantime I have a folder of MP3 conversions just for those cases.

Quote Originally Posted by lucidstrings View Post
    I ditched Traktor 3 years ago I still install and update it... I really don't know why... Bought a serato Setup and felt it provided a more authentic feel that I was lacking
    Not helpful in this context.

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoDJ View Post
    Thanks for your input, and this is probably my first option should NI not provide any tools for us. Ill start doing some conversion tests of the Traktor library using your method this weekend.

The issues with AIFF is storage space, which just means I need to rethink my entire storage and backup system. Ill have to add more raid drives and rebuild the array. Ill need up to %50 more storage and backup on each computer.

I built a file management and backup system based on the filetypes Traktor officially supported. I thought it was going to be good for years.

The time and cost investment isnt negligable.

And to be honest, I have zero confidence that NI wont do to AIFF on PC the exact same thing they just did to ALAC.
    no offense, but the way you talk you have terabytes of ALAC files. That seems way towards the right side of a bell curve of collection size...even for a DJ. So either

a. you don't have as much music as you're saying you do, and you're being histrionic for no reason whatsoever

b. you have every song in the history of recorded audio, in which case you have no idea what you have, you don't use even a tenth of it in traktor, and you're being histrionic about how much extra space your transcoding effort will require when what you should realize is that you're the edgiest of edge cases, and are ALWAYS going to have issues because of it. No developer in their wet dreams includes what you do in their use cases.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234