Share Collection between 2 copies of Traktor??

Default Share Collection between 2 copies of Traktor??

I have 2 partitions set up on my Windows laptop, one with windows 7, and one with windows 8.1. The windows 7 partition has a copy of Traktor on set up with my Denon MC6000 that I use when I go out and do gigs (which is where the collection and all my music lives). I've just bought myself a denon X600 mixer to use with 2 turntables and vinyl, but I would also like the possibility of using digital tracks from Traktor at the same time.

I don't want to mess up my gigging installation by installing extra drivers etc. for the X600, so I had the idea of installing Traktor on the win 8.1 partition and using that with the x600.

Is there any way I can share the collections between the 2 copies of Traktor?? I changed the root directory of the win 8.1 installation to point to the win 7 traktor folder, set up the x600 etc. all good. When I switched back to the win 7 partition, it had carried over all of the settings/midi maps etc, from the win 8.1 installation.

All I want to share between the two is the collection, and have separate settings for each installation of traktor. Is this possible??
    Last edited by robdquick; 12-16-2014 at 10:03 AM.
    Mobile DJ. 2 x Denon SC2900, Denon MC-6000 MK2, Wharfedale Titan 15a Powered Speakers, Titan A15 Subs, HP laptop. Shed load of lights!! Maschine Mikro MK2, Xone:K2.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ
    2G on Twitter | 2G on Facebook
    | RobDQuick On Soundcloud

Tech Guru

I think you are over engineering this. I havent used a separate partition for years, as I dont believe there is any performance gain on a modern machine. Ive been working as an enterprise PC tech for many years, so my opinions are based on many years building, testing and deploying images.

Partitioned setups are also harder to rebuild once they fail, if you dont take daily image snapshots.

You are burdening yourself with a bunch of extra work, for no performance difference. I did a bunch of performance tests with my old partitioned setup, and there was literally no difference between my audio partition and my work partition. Thats when I stopped doing it.

Just keep your windows install clean, do daily backups and imaging so you can restore it within minutes. These things are way more important than partitioning.

I run a dual boot win 7 machine. Traktor 2.71 on the "everyday" boot and 2.68 on the SSD. Both share the same collection, just point to the alternative root folder in the preferences.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Also, unless X600 and MC6000 use a different ASIO driver you won't mess up anything (eg check if they need a different ASIO version 1.01 or 2.22, you probably don't need to install anything!)

edit: I was right. You don't need to install anything, they both use the same ASIO driver 2.22 (last chart)

Last edited by SlayForMoney; 12-17-2014 at 04:11 AM. Reason: chart
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    I run a dual boot win 7 machine. Traktor 2.71 on the "everyday" boot and 2.68 on the SSD. Both share the same collection, just point to the alternative root folder in the preferences.
    Jester, when you say the root folder in the preferences, do you mean this setting??

1253_1a_FileManagement.jpg

I tried that already, and then it changes all the settings for the input/outputs plus all of the midi mappings, which I don't want to happen.

SlayforMoney, good point, but I still don't want to use my gigging partition with the x600, as I don't want to have to change all the settings back at a gig. I know it sounds like a little thing, but I like to know that when I boot up my gigging partition it will all be exactly how I want it and just work!!

I've had another thought... as I also have all of my playlists etc. set up in iTunes on my gigging partition, I could just use that instead in the new installation... can you search the iTunes node??

Or, is there anyway I can just import the collection into the new installation, and keep all of the settings/root folder on the new partition??
    Mobile DJ. 2 x Denon SC2900, Denon MC-6000 MK2, Wharfedale Titan 15a Powered Speakers, Titan A15 Subs, HP laptop. Shed load of lights!! Maschine Mikro MK2, Xone:K2.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ
    2G on Twitter | 2G on Facebook
    | RobDQuick On Soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by robdquick View Post
    Jester, when you say the root folder in the preferences, do you mean this setting??

1253_1a_FileManagement.jpg
    Yep.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "