help with beat grids n dnb
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default help with beat grids n dnb

dnb is my first love and i have only played dnb on vinyl. i just recently got traktor and a vcm100 and have been playing around with it with house and pop songs. yesterday i went to beatport and bought a few dnb tracks to throw in traktor. i have gotten most of them beat gridded but i have one song that i'm having problems with. traktor is reading it 130bpm of the bat. the bpm setting is at 70-190. i have adjusted it just a little up and down, but it is the same deal no matter what i do. any suggestions?

also on another note. how can i get the tempo fader more acurate? i'm also having a hard time beat matching just usng the tempo faders. what percentage should they be set at for this? this style of mixing is way different that traditional vinyl. they are both fun. thanks in advance people.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I'd use the jog wheel for pitch fading. The fader isn't very good for that. Map it to something else.

The alternative is to just tap out the tempo manually and then try it there.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

i would if i could. vcm100. i really hate using the sync button. although i use it when messing around with other songs. but you know, dnb is different. hehe. it deserves better than that. dont worry about it. i was just trying a few dnb tracks out out. i haven't converted my dnb record collection to mp3's yet. if i can't get this figured out i most likely wont. it would take months anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by end1 View Post
    i'm also having a hard time beat matching just usng the tempo faders. what percentage should they be set at for this? this style of mixing is way different that traditional vinyl.
    i want to say lowest possible, more accuracy in the short movement range of the fader.

also, try the tap function to correct the false bpm, should sort it

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Don't be afraid of the sync button, as long as you know how to beatmatch manually - just in case, you know :-)
    I'm kind of in a similar situation. I used DJDecks and Traktor Scratch Duo for a while now, bought about 1000 tunes in different stores, didn't care about beatgridding for some time. It's kind of useless if you use it with control vinyls. I had a Numark Total Control and didn't like it for it's really plastic cheap feel and unprecise pitch faders. I just got myself an Otus, and it's a lot of fun.
    As far as the beatgridding is concerned, traktor has a hard time with breakbeats, so there are always going to be a few tunes it doesn't detect properly. Setting the BPM range to something like 155-190 helps a little, but for some tunes that's just not enough. You'll need to beatgrid manually, there's no other way. It's a hassle, especially if you need to do it with more than a handful of tunes. It does pay off though, as you need proper BPM values and sometimes proper beatgrids for the effects to sound good. Not to beatgrid properly means you just can't access the full potential of traktor.

By the way, I did map a sync button. For now, I stick to beatmatching manually to get some practice in how to do it with this piece of kit.

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

Traktor does not do the best with d&b, I would just set a grid marker on the first well defined kick ( on a 16) and then manually set the tempo to about 174 and then adjust the track tempo until the 4th marker past the grid marker is on the kick.

Default Re: help with beat grids n dnb

130 x 1.333 = ur tracks tempo. Adjust your min tempo range to about 140 when gridong Dnb

Could also try adjusting your grid on snares.

Tech Wizard

thanks to you all for the info and tips. i'll be giving them a shot.

Tech Guru

this problem only comes up with traktor pro. the auto bpm detection in traktor3 never analyzes my drumnbass tunes to 130...
    why is that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast