Music Discovery/Where to Find Tracks - Page 8
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoDJ View Post
    I find r/djs so frustrating. Its the same 3 lazy questions over and over from lazy new DJs who cant be bothered reading the sidebar.

A lot of noobs treat r/Djs as a service where they expect less lazy people to google and explain things for them.
    Oh for sure, I'm subscribed to /r/djs, but I rarely read it and /r/electronicmusic is pretty weak. I do have good luck in places like /r/trap which is basically a little music blog for the genre that is very active. Find lots of smaller producers there that often have free soundcloud download links. /r/futurebeats/ is kinda cool too, but these are just a few subgenres im interested in. I'm sure there's a sub for every genre, but most are dead.

Default New to DJing...but a music enthusiast for life. A different idea

Very new around here, but this is a topic I felt I could chime in a fresh idea. I read most of the posts, sorry if this is duplication..

I have always found a social approach can do wonders in finding new music inspiration. For years in college we used to do record trades in a monthly group get together - and here is the catch - tell people to only bring music "nobody has ever heard before." Also, don't target people with your identical interests (like DJ's, or if you do EDM production other EDM fans)

It's amazing the amount of knowledge you can get out of somebody simply by asking. As a cig smoker I also spend endless hours outside local music stores (Guitar Center, Record Shops, whatever) and shoot the shit with people. Older jazz cats introduced me to all kinds of artists I had never heard before, and all I do is ask them "hey tell me somebody wierd I should listen to?"

...or, just use the Internet like everyone else said!

protip: If it's on a compilation, check out all the other tracks on that compilation. They all tend to have the same vibe or feel...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Tech Convert

I listen to my favorite weekly mix. If there's a tune that catches my ear I look at the tracklist. Find more songs of that artist. Pretty much soundcloud! I get excited if its an artist I've never heard of before.

Podcasts with tracklistings are an absolute GODSEND.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

I always have really good luck with soundcloud. It's also really good for following local DJ's and getting in touch for collabs.

I usually go to soundcloud or listen to any mix on youtube to find good songs.

Tech Convert

There were some great apps (downloadable) that I found on DJTT before. One of them is Trackhunter.. check it out.. basically it helps you find newly released music or anything you're looking for in the house/electronic music scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Podcasts with tracklistings are an absolute GODSEND.
    Hear hear! Absolutely agree, although some don't have the tracklists and require further digging and crosschecking time elapsed to tracks played on the website. Nonetheless awesome.

Tech Mentor

just got bit by the vinyl bug, spent 50 dollars on wax already. anyone know of any good places online, other than juno?
    Technics 1210 / Pioneer plx 1000 / Xone 42 / Adam a3x / UA apollo twin / Maschine mikro / Ableton live 9 / Maschine 2 / MBP Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast