64 bit drivers for audio cards
    Tech Student

Default 64 bit drivers for audio cards

Hi forum, this is my first ever post although I've been following the blog for quite some time now.

I was just about to upgrade my system to Windows 7 64-bit and was checking my hardware for 64-bit driver availability.
    It turns out there aren't any for my ESI U46XL USB audio card, which is a total bummer as I would like some 64-bit speed for other stuff I'm doing, like graphic design and video.
    I use this audio card primarily for DJing with Traktor.

It also turns out 64-bit audio drivers aren't that common anyway, so I'd like to ask if anyone was in a similar situation and what they did to get around it (ASIO4ALL, new card, etc.)

philtre

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I have an Audio8 and Vista 64. No problems, not-a-one. MOst things that don't have drivers in 64 bit just run in a 32 bit compatibility mode and work fine with those drivers.

I'm pretty sure that if it's a 64bit it means it CAN run things faster if they have 64 bit drivers, but it can run them normally at 32bit. This can be completely wrong, mind you, but I have had no problems with any of my gear.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Student

Seriously? Becuse everywhere I look, it says you can NOT install 32 bit drivers on 64 bit OS.
    Well, I might as well try it, but I sure hope I won't get blue screens during a gig.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Hm... seems I may be wrong, after a magical google search (which I declined to do the last time).

I couldn't find your unit on the list either.

I think your best bet would be to do a full image of your hard drive, and try it, see what happens. If it breaks then roll back to the previous version.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Student

Exactly what I had in mind. I'll post what happens.

By the way, I got a reply from ESI today, saying that they are working on a 64-bit driver but they can't say, when it will be available.