What do you think? Equipment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default What do you think? Equipment

Hi,
    I started DJing with Ableton and the X-Session Pro after that I upgraded last xmas to Traktor Pro and a VCI-100, I really really like my VCI, but it doesn't really fit my needs anymore. I need 4 channel equipment and I don't feel comfortable using my VCI with so many Modifires. So I looked out for new equipment. I decided that the next step is External Mixing + Midi Controlling:

A&H Xone 42
    - Mixer without EFX only Filter thats specs I'm looking for, but I'm not really sure about the EFX in/out and the USB
    2x Xone 1D

I think that's the gear that will fit my needs best. Since yesterday I also thought about two NI Kontrol X1 but they make me feel kind of limited.
    So I want to hear what you guys think of my plan? Do you have maybe better ideas?

Thanks so far jannick

PS: No I'm not a Hawtin fanboy, but I like his style

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

It's not a bad plan, but if you are going to use the 2 Xone 1d's why not get the 2 X1's with the 42?

Also, you can make the VCI-100 control 4 decks rather well.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    It's not a bad plan, but if you are going to use the 2 Xone 1d's why not get the 2 X1's with the 42?

Also, you can make the VCI-100 control 4 decks rather well.
    I want them all three together

yaa I know. I built my own tsi for 4D but I don't feel really well. It's kinda confusing me switching Deck A/C B/D EQ's and so on, and I really like fast EFX controll for 4 Decks

Yeah, it's slightly frustrating, I can understand that.

That would be a rather obscene setup... two 1d's, two x1's and a 4d all lined up... mmm... tastes like excess
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    Yeah, it's slightly frustrating, I can understand that.

That would be a rather obscene setup... two 1d's, two x1's and a 4d all lined up... mmm... tastes like excess
    Oh sorry I got you wrong! No no either 2x 1D or 2x X1.

But I don't know which I'll buy... I don't like the premapped X1 but it offers lots of buttons so I can use it with midi
    I'm already planning how I would map the 1D for my needs, still doing it

But you can remap the X1, it just has an optimal setting. If you have the external mixer then I'd say rock out with the two X1's, but then again, I'm a whore for LED feedback
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Mentor

I appreciate the LED feedback as well but I don't know makes me feel kind of limited. Some functions I see already mapped I'm not really using.

Atm I'm still planning. Need to save some Money, sell some old stuff and the X1 will be released in Feb next year so still some time to think and sleep over it

But is there an alternative to the Xone 42?

There are some, but I do think the Xone:42 is one of the better mixers in this USB mixer segment.
    When looking for mixing it with MIDI, I would try to grab hold of the discontinued Ecler Nuo4 (not the 4.0 )

But why not opt for 1 Xone:1D and 1 NI-X1 next to the Xone:42?

Consider these two remarks:
    - NI-X1 has LEDs, the Xone none that matter in a dark club.
    - NI-X1 is build for Traktor, the Xone:1D is considered an Ableton controller by design.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Tekki View Post
    There are some, but I do think the Xone:42 is one of the better mixers in this USB mixer segment.
    When looking for mixing it with MIDI, I would try to grab hold of the discontinued Ecler Nuo4 (not the 4.0 )

But why not opt for 1 Xone:1D and 1 NI-X1 next to the Xone:42?

Consider these two remarks:
    - NI-X1 has LEDs, the Xone none that matter in a dark club.
    - NI-X1 is build for Traktor, the Xone:1D is considered an Ableton controller by design.
    No the USB is unimportant, I just need 4 channel mixer with filter but no effects and no midi.

That's always a problem, having no LED or lights... I haven't really decided yet still some time

thanks for all the replies yet!

Tech Mentor

Don't forget that you'll need a soundcard!

Also: the Traktor controller can switch between MIDI and its preconfigured-thing (like a shift modifier), I think, so that is something to consider.

I personally would get the Xones (just bought a 3d the other day, waiting for it to get here). However, if you don't need the faders or jog wheels, the Traktor controllers do look very nice.
    I'm not good at things, but I like to pretend I am.
    :Project-Segfault:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast