I think I am lost and have no idea what I am doing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I think I am lost and have no idea what I am doing.

I have been DJ'ing for 15 years now. I used to play in clubs and at parties but I realized that I hate people and stopped a long time ago. I continued to DJ as a hobby the rest of the time.

I started with vinyl and then went to time code using Serato but recently made the leap to Traktor. I couldn't bring myself to sell my Technics so I was in search of something that would allow me to play normal records, time code and everything else I could think of. I ended up purchasing an S4 MK2. I instantly fell in love with everything that Native Instruments makes.

Shortly after purchasing the S4 I came across a used Maschine MK2 for a great price. I instantly became totally involved in the Maschine and focused on making tracks that I could mix on the S4.

In the past week I bought an F1 and a midi fighter twister because I thought they would be a cool addition to the S4 which I don't really use in the first place.

What the hell is my problem?

C/N: I don't know what I want or how to get there.

Yup...You have RGAS mate.

Rapid Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

Everyone that has gone digital (or part gone digital) has pretty much had a similar issue.

You find these nice toys that you think will be awesome, but then find out you either don't use them or it does not actually fit into what you are trying to achieve.

Watch some video's on Youtube...try and find out what style you wanting to play....whether you are just wanting to DJ as per usual or do something further.

Then refine your setup and get rid of what you don't use.

Take your time...don't make any rash decisions.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Exactly as Sarasin says, RGAS!

It's a funny and expensive infection that some people never quite fully recover from! You'll soon zero in on what works best for you, and that point its the difficult decision of ebaying some stuff. For all the equipment i've bought though i most enjoy my 1210's and two tracks, yet still cant bring myself to sell some stuff haha.
    A+H DB4, Technics 1210's x2, F1, X1MK2 x2, MaschineMk2, Akai LPK 25, MF3D, XDJ-1000 x2.

Well at least now I know what my illness is and how to treat it. That is my first step towards recovery.

Dubluw-

I was looking at your gear list and you seem to be the best person to direct this question to. How do you think the Z2 and X1 set up compares to the S4?

Tech Mentor

I have done the same.. I quit DJ'ing for a while then decided to start again for a hobby.. I picked up a Kontrol S2 and i was OK for a while.. then i wanted the S4 for no reason, then i wanted 1210s so I could use timecode, then i got the S4 MK II, then realised i didn't use the jogs anymore so I got a Kontrol Z2, i liked the remix deck area of this but it's highly limited so I got a F1, then i got a Akai LDP8 for controlling FX, then realised it was too modular as i then wanted another F1, sold all the little bits and now I have a Push which i am absolutely loving as I am using it to control 2xF1s and effects.

I've put hardware buying ban on myself now. enough is enough.

i think RGAS has to go away on its own...IDK

A year of being poor helps also, to cure it. lol. It helps you to appreciate the gear you have and becoming really friggin good on it.

Also, when you understand that at the core of all things, you are really just mixing 2 tracks together, you realize that alot of that stuff is just flashy shiny things.

My solution, forget about the "mixing" side of it for a bit. Start investing all your time into diving REALLY deep into crate digging, finding new unheard tracks. Maybe look into other genres, Early on I had the opinion that DnB just sounded too "fast" but once I came to understand the mechanics of it, I really started enjoying it. lol some DnB guys say House is too slow...hehe

I am very satisfied with using the cdjs at the club, and i use timecode vinyls with traktor at home. There's really no need for anything more.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dystinct View Post
    What the hell is my problem?

C/N: I don't know what I want or how to get there.
    Totally agree, you have RGAS!

Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post
    You find these nice toys that you think will be awesome, but then find out you either don't use them or it does not actually fit into what you are trying to achieve.
    Yes. You have something in your head....but you have no way to articulate what it is, or how to put it out into the world. I go through this every few years.

Watch a lot of youtube videos....just click through until you find something interesting TO YOU.

Listen to a lot of music....and try for XM stations, or podcasts, or Spotify, or Beatport playlists that you would NOT normally listen to. Keep going until you find something that is interesting TO YOU.

Find a used record/cd store and go digging. Find something that is interesting TO YOU.

Take some music classes. Music theory, music appreciation, music composition...really anything. First, you will learn something new. Second, you will be involved in music, but without the need to buy gear.

Once you have something "new to you" that is "interesting to you"...then you have a jumping off point to explore.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Mentor

Gear Acquisition Syndrome, you has it.

Hi Dystinct.

All said in my own opinion, and i'm sure some people may disagree. But that's the beauty of RGAS. You're constantly experimenting!

I bought my Z2 as something of a stopgap as my S4 was falling apart (Shitty build quality) and needed something to be as intuitive with Traktor. In that respect, combined with the X1MK2, it's a brilliant piece of kit. I use my Z2/X1/MF3D for gigs as it's solid, slim and i've had no complaints. The X1MK2 is a good match with it and if you don't mind using the touch strip to pitchbend or if you use sync then you'll have no problems. I also love the built in USB port, and the XLR connections are a godsend compared to the S4.

However.

The Z2 has a few gripes that only aid the dreaded RGAS in that it doesn't tick all the boxes, forcing you to look further afield. I bought mine knowing full well it's limits as i knew how my kit would Intergrate with it and where i could tinker with things to make it work however.

No external effects for other sources (Vinyl/CDJ) kind of negates using it with them in any serious capacity, the One knob for effects is a bit of a joke tbh (hence the X1 purchase and the MF3D could fill some gaps) and i think it's criminal that it didn't have 4 channels. I liked being able to EQ my Maschine on the 4th deck of my S4 for instance. I thought i could work around that with it's C/D channels and EQ'ing on Maschine but it just doesn't cut it for me. For some reason my vinyl doesn't sound as loud on it either no matter what EQ/Gain setting's i mess around with, so i can't really play them out.

Im saving up for a Proper 4 channel Traktor certified mixer/A10 (probably the Denon X1600) etc in the long run, but for the time being my Z2/X1/MF3D will do just fine for gigs.
    Last edited by DubluW; 01-14-2015 at 04:15 PM.
    A+H DB4, Technics 1210's x2, F1, X1MK2 x2, MaschineMk2, Akai LPK 25, MF3D, XDJ-1000 x2.

Tech Wizard

I go through gear acquisition syndrome at least once a year. I think it helps me to learn and grow as a DJ, as I learn how to adapt to new equipment and software. Have fun with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast