How do YOU mix? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do YOU mix?

I always just used a crappy webcam but If you have a decent phone I've found that there isn't really a need for any fancy cameras provided you light your scene well enough to avoid grain. I use the http://www.filmicpro.com app on a iPhone 5 and the quality is VERY good.

Good idea actually. My note 3 shoots in 4k...

Quote Originally Posted by William Gibson View Post
    Good idea actually. My note 3 shoots in 4k...
    Cool looks like we're going to start doing boiler room sets at your place

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    Cool looks like we're going to start doing boiler room sets at your place
    House and electro soul would be dope. Ive never mixed house before so I would have to learn but it would be fun.

P.s. phone is limited to 5 minutes max recordings. Gopro is getting tempting...

5 minutes? There isn't an app that can override that camera setting? Or is 4k video just taking up that much space (I imagine it would) might want to drop it down a tad! Jot me a link whenever you get it going!

I meant to reply to this thread last week but I was on vacation at the time.

I have dabbled in ableton DJ'n for a while and I found the best way for me to do it is to have my songs listed out in the decks I want to play them in and I would trigger the songs on my APC40. I would have each of the decks setup to a channel on a DJM900nxs through USB.

If my songs are warped properly I have a much easier time doing all the EQ and FX work on the DJM. I also gotta say that live tempo automator is sick. I have used it a few times. I actually modified the original code a little bit. I made it so if I create a blank midi clip and rename it with a number(for example '128') if I launch that clip the automator will change the current master tempo to that number in however bars I have selected in the automator(usually 4 bars).

Also for the 5 minute recoding in 4k mode, it is because if the phone/tablet senses that the image sensor is getting too hot it will stop recording. My xperia z2 shoots in 4k but after about 5 minutes it gets really really hot and the phone stops recording before it has a chance to do permanent damage.

I always wondered how Ableton + DJM900's worked. When you hook it up does it show up as a sound card in Ableton? How is the latency? Are you able to route each channel in Ableton to a channel on the DJM900 without an external sound card? That modification to the Tempo Automator sounds like it would be incredibly useful! I had a look inside the plugin and honestly it's way over my head at this point in time. So much to learn so little time!

It is pretty much plug and play once you have the drivers installed. When setup properly Ableton will see it as a 8in/out sound device. All you need is one usb cable. I will try to do a short video demo sometime this week. I know the artist 3lau uses a djm900 in his sets.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by William Gibson View Post

P.s. phone is limited to 5 minutes max recordings. Gopro is getting tempting...
    I'm getting an SJ4000 on Monday which is a cheap and cheerful alternative.

• Shoots almost, or as good as a GoPro
    • Comes with ALL the brackets & waterproof case included
    • Has a rear screen included.
    • Yes it has Wifi too
    • Can be used with any gopro replacement lens e.g. 5.4mm

Its about 1/5 the price of a Hero3+ Black !

Watch in 1080p - theres a ton of videos out there on youtube for it.

Last edited by deevey; 02-08-2015 at 08:02 AM.

well I was going to try and record a short demo today but I felt so sloppy. I haven't done an actual ableton set for several months.(need to get a new laptop) Anyways I got some screen shots of one of the setups I did.

In the first screenshot you can see ableton detects the DJM900 as an 8in/8out device. I had the default device set as the input so you can record your entire set using a rca to 3.5mm. That way I can get the filters and effects from the DJM recorded as well.
    Screen Shot 2015-02-11 at 3.04.47 PM.png

In the second screenshot you can see how I setup my decks. In this one I had it setup to play Decks 1&2 playing through channel 2 on the DJM. Decks 3&4 are playing on channel 3. I then also have one shots playing on channel 4.
    Screen Shot 2015-02-11 at 3.05.14 PM.png

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast