Problem recording in Audacity
    Schalenberg

Default Problem recording in Audacity

Tried recording a mix on Audacity last night and after playing it back, I heard a lot of crackling/popping. Figured it was clipping so I tried adjusting my gains. But no matter what adjustments I made, the recording continued to go into the red (on Audacity). I feel like I知 taking crazy pills. Any idea on what I知 doing wrong?

Are you using an external soundcard to record? Are you on PC? If yes to both, you may be running into soundcard latency issues.

↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

If you're using the internal soundcard of the laptop, make sure the input is set to line in and not microphone.
    Mobile DJ. 2 x Denon SC2900, Denon MC-6000 MK2, Wharfedale Titan 15a Powered Speakers, Titan A15 Subs, HP laptop. Shed load of lights!! Maschine Mikro MK2, Xone:K2.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ
    2G on Twitter | 2G on Facebook
    | RobDQuick On Soundcloud

Most modern sound cards in most higher end laptops should be fine... Hell I've recorded mixes with a cheap 30$ USB sound card.... My biggest guess is you have something turned too loud or are modifying the record settings... Audacity is very straight forward for recording make sure you have the line selected and make sure you have the meter activated for line in... Then you can see f your clipping and then just hit record... If you aren't clipping in audacity then make sure you don't have an issue by running latency monitor... Could be a bad driver somewhere causing the issue

Schalenberg

I've recorded in Audacity several times with no problems, but it's been about 6 months since my last recording. Using a MBP and DJM 900 Nexus.

Very odd I'm not a Mac user so can't help beyond the program itself... Do you see in the waveform the pops and crackles? Have you tried different cables.... It's obvious but also most missed... I'd try new cables.... Does it happen from start to finish on the recording or only after it's been playing back for a bit?

Schalenberg

I don't see anything in the waveforms, but it could be the cables. I'll try swapping them out.

sounds like you might be recording and monitoring (or mic is still active) simultaneously. This would give you feedback. Make sure it's just recording the line input only. mute everything else.