the hypem inevitability
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Anaheim Hills, CA, Lake Havasu, Az, & Las Vegas, Nv

Default the hypem inevitability

I once was big on Hypem, recommending it to people "digging" in the background everything, besides creating my own tracks. &Ill admit a lot of the stuff on there has always been straight crap, mainly really bad "remixs" and spawns of imitators that glad fully keep them coming and at the lowest bitrate there program will let them export. but at least it got a few good people out there, and helped with there start in the game.

Now watching the steady change over the past year: My thoughts
    Big business/lables will not only use it to find the direction they tell their
    producers to push "artests" but start hosting blogs (with unlimited bandwidth)
    auto-playing there releases day-in day-out to get it up top Hypem's
    popular list, Cause we all know everything up there gets eatin up,
    just like anything played on MTV before the corporate monster ate that...

In essence I like the site and it's idea, but i feel as the past has shown
    they will eventually jump in to the corperate game by either charging
    labels for $pecial placement (defeating the hole idea), the HYPEM Tool Bar!
    or start placing adds everywhere. <(your a winner)

....& this will all happen in the year 2012....hah

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

My experience of Hypem (from an observer point of view) is that its just like Beatport.

I hear a DJ and all hes playing is the Top 10 weeks posted/popular Electro tracks.
    One DJ said to me "i get all my music off Hypem"

Lazy, unimaginative and also illegal.

Dont get me wrong , its great at pointing out the odd remix of stuff that i can go buy elsewhere but its mainly dog-shit remixes for kids who dont actually look anywhere else for good music.

The Gospel According To Hypem. Meh..!

[good post Stephen ]

your probably correct as far a label interfering as Hype Machine gets more traffic. I personally love it as it exposes me to all sort of unheard music which in my opinion is one of the most important functions of a DJ.

i definitely do agree to some extent but...

isnt hypem only a compliation of alot of the different music blogs out there? so is this just a bash on most blogs that hypem gets there stuff from? if that is the case, this is where i will disagree, as i feel like dipping into blogs from all over the world can usually help me find some pretty good stuff.

but i definitely do agree that many djs are just playing the hypem "most popular section" or the beatport top 10s, and you can usually distinguish those djs by listening to the first 2 or 3 songs of there sets (all pop bangers right from the get-go).

I don't think you can blame the hype machine itself for anything. Rather, the blogs are to blame.

I personally am a big fan of hype machine. It helps me discover a ton of new music, which as JeRK mentioned, is vital to being a DJ.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Tech Guru

i don't see what the problem is unless you let charts and top10 lists dictate your musical preferences. If that's the case, websites like hypem.com are not to blame - that's just poseurs being poseurs.

I mostly just use the "search" button on hypem.com to see what's new with artists I like and also a way to discover new blogs that post about these artists and similar artists that I may have never heard of.

As far as the legality of it, I think most producers are hip to the changing music industry model that this "free" music they're putting out there translates to the equivalent to thousands of dollars worth of marketing - which in the end means more $$$ in their pocket. Had they not taken advantage of advertising through blogs and instead had their music only available though online music stores without taking advantage of savvy online marketing strategies (like posting on blogs and hypem.com) it would translate to less $$$ overall I'm positive of that.

Now unless your superstar dj big name, blogs and sites like hypem.com can only be a good thing.
    Last edited by wrong chris; 11-05-2009 at 08:41 PM.

yea Karlos, Illegally downloading music is deff a socially-acceptable social-deviance.
    n' As I joke, As are stealin the programs used to make it..
    "f**k it fight it, its all the same" you know

JeRK&Lambox, I agree its a nice idea, Iv heard a lot of my favorite artests new tracks right when they came out there,
    as well as been introduced to some of those favorite artiests there...none of which was really my point. hah

Shmobletons, I can create a blog tonight, pay for an unlimited bandwidth hosting, throw the track on hypem & auto-play it night & day-until its on the popular list, I know someone personally whos done this; hah Got his fake @ss on fliers with some big names for a short while, &His tunes are Horrid! Look up Teen Wolf (from Las Vegas), Just one example of the systems flaws.

Duerr, I personally allow my stuff to be downloaded 320kb quality only, mainly so it sounds good. If the artists are releasing them to the blogs for "promotion" like that (keep in mined the typical non-dj person pays no attention to kilobyte or knows what it is) why hook it up at the $hit 96kbs you get from rippin tracks off myspace players..

"Now unless your superstar dj big name, blogs and sites like hypem.com can only be a good thing"

&Not entirely true/It can be a bad for beginners not yet ready for your first impression, most new producers don't think this threw in the glory of their new found craft in the art of sound.. adding to the equation: blogs will post ANYthing, We've all heard the result.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFastStephen View Post

Duerr, I personally allow my stuff to be downloaded 320kb quality only, mainly so it sounds good. If the artists are releasing them to the blogs for "promotion" like that (keep in mined the typical non-dj person pays no attention to kilobyte or knows what it is) why hook it up at the $hit 96kbs you get from rippin tracks off myspace players..

"Now unless your superstar dj big name, blogs and sites like hypem.com can only be a good thing"

&Not entirely true/It can be a bad for beginners not yet ready for your first impression, most new producers don't think this threw in the glory of their new found craft in the art of sound.. adding to the equation: blogs will post ANYthing, We've all heard the result.

I'm just trying to understand who this is effecting negatively.. hypemachine, blogs, producers or the scene in general? I'm still a little cloudy on what you're trying to say with this thread.

the music business is a sink or swim industry. if pre-mature producers are putting out bad music, or music at low bitrates this doesn't hurt anyone but the producer and their record label. They can either use it as a learning experience to market themselves better with future work, or they can let it sink them.

if hypemachine is only promoting music that they're getting paid by labels to promote this doesn't hurt anyone but hypemachine's reputation, but many of the websites functions will still be a useful tool for many people to discover artists and blogs.

as far as DJs who just play the flavour of the week and scam their way to be a flavour of the week, that's all they'll ever be in the best case scenario... a flavour of the week. To me that's not something any self-respecting artist should want to be, especially in todays music industry climate when the shelf life of music is a few weeks on a good day. Not only will their career be short lived but they also won't gain respect from their peers for all the hard work they've put into it.
    Last edited by wrong chris; 11-06-2009 at 08:25 PM.

Duerr ha never meant to make the thread all that beneficial, just used it as a digital notebook for scattered modern dj related thought; in your last paragraph you got a good point man.

Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar

as far as DJs who just play the flavour of the week and scam their way to be a flavour of the week, that's all they'll ever be in the best case scenario... a flavour of the week. To me that's not something any self-respecting artist should want to be, especially in todays music industry climate when the shelf life of music is a few weeks on a good day. Not only will their career be short lived but they also won't gain respect from their peers for all the hard work they've put into it.
    Good point! They strip DJing from it's offsets. Choosing what you want to play, is one of the greatest thing about DJing, but most are likely not to care much about it as these guys don't care about DJing at all.

What counts for them is mostly fame or banging chicks respecitvely both.
    I see a lot of people in Berlin doing exactly that.

I personally listen to hypem at work. I moved from listening to the popular tracks to last posted songs, because these bring more fresh air (and are often shitty).
    Soundcloud is very good also but it's interface uses too much ressource in order to use it at the same time with my programming environment (RSA from IBM) at work.
    DJDiscourse.com — the new DJ community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast