Rapid-fire song mixing vs start-to-finish mixing
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Rapid-fire song mixing vs start-to-finish mixing

Hello, DJTechTools users.

My name is SoulBrix and this is my first post here.

I recently started taking DJing more seriously (I've been a music producer since 2010, but never had much interest in DJing, until I had a couple of invitations last year to perform - I loved it, and it really helps on the production of new material), and to further extend my knowledge and capabilities, I've been reading/watching tutorials, articles and listening to some mixes on Youtube. And that's when I came up with the title question.

Back in 2011, I had a friend that used to DJ a lot, and he always told me that, if I ever DJ, I should never play a new track on each drop. I always kept that in mind, and reflected that idea on my mixes. But, in these youtube mixes, it seems that DJs are always playing new songs on every drop.

My question is: which technique is preferable? Personally, I find it jarring to be constantly playing new tracks, but that may be because of my lack of experience. But what do you, DJs with far more experience than me, think is the best way? What is best for pleasing the crowd?

Thanks in advance!

personally i like to let tracks breathe a little, but i dont play them end to end.i do see some DJs that i think mix too quickly, but it is also nice once in a while to just use a small piece or just a loop of a song.
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Tech Guru

The only genre that I think you can get away with very quick mixing is electro house and the top 40 stuff.

Otherwise, intro-outro I think is my favorite as my favorite part of a song is usually the breakdown. If a song is particularly repetitive, then I will only use a small portion as ^.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Back in 2011, I had a friend that used to DJ a lot, and he always told me that, if I ever DJ, I should never play a new track on each drop. I always kept that in mind, and reflected that idea on my mixes. But, in these youtube mixes, it seems that DJs are always playing new songs on every drop.
    It works on video, but is fecking annoying to the punters on the floor during a night out, many of whom want to tracks they like though their entirety (or at least a good portion of it). Unless its billed as a mashup / controllerist event and they are aware thats the concept of the gig.

Nothing worse than the DJ playing "your song" and it doesn't even get to the good bit.

Tech Mentor

here you go

Tech Mentor

There is no right way. It depends on your style. Personally, I am not a fan of the A.D.D. Dj. Drives me crazy. But, some genres are made to be played that way like EDM and in some sense, hip hop. I tend to mix the EDM in my mix quickly...but, that is because I generally don't care for the genre and want to keep it high energy and moving.
    In general, I'm the type who blends on the break away point and lean to longer mixes because that works best in house and techno.
    Just because you have 2,000 songs on your laptop doesn't mean you have to play all of them by the end of the night ��

BOTH. its all about how the set moves... sometimes it may make sense to drop a new song quickly sometimes it doesn't, personally i like my sets to be long and tight.

now for my podcast/radio stuff, I play the entire song seeing as I am showcasing new music i like. but on stage, I may want to play certain songs, but have a short time to do it.

Its good practice (at least i think) to make the transitions seemless...

My rule is as im mixing I will let more less know/underground/non mainstream stuff play longer because odds are people havnt heard them. The bigger tunes that people may know only get played for the intro, verse and chorus then its on to the next one.

Tech Wizard

When I first started DJing clubs fairly regularly way back when (about 6 years ago ) three minute mixes were fairly normal. My mixes are currently on the long end of things at 2 to 2 1/4, but I do try to have the track make sense and sound somewhat complete.

Like you I came into DJing from a production background. This gives you a huge leg up because you have the skills to take tracks apart and reassemble just the basics for your club work. I've done over 500 of these types of edits, and they form the backbone of my night.

Welcome to the world of add where button mashing in a new track is called art and hard cuts once used by open format djs now used by electronic djs who feel the need to plsy 30 seconds and mix nonstop makes you q good Dj.... Or as I call it downside of sync YouTube mixes are bad for this really bad reminds me of southern rap music videos of the 90s when they tried bein mainstream but we're cheery.... Same idea these people aren't making a mix they are making a music video...

I'm sure everyone had that one friend that back cued scratched songs in every mix and normally after only a minute or two ... Same idea

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast