First Traktor set up
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default First Traktor set up

I’m after a bit of advice. After a 12 year break I’ve decided that I’m going to get back into DJing, things have changed a lot since I last picked up a pair of headphones (and a bag full of vinyl). I’ve decided that Traktor will be my weapon of choice over Serato, if it’s good enough for Carl Cox it’s definitely going to be more than enough for me. Plus from what I can gather Serato seems to be more aimed at the Hip Hop DJ end of the market, I may be wrong though.

Anyway. I’ve narrowed my choice of controller down to an S2 MkII or a Z1 with an X1 MkII. If later on I want to use a third / fourth deck for samples and loops I take it I can just add an F1 to either of these set ups? The X1 doesn’t have faders so I’m guessing it would be pretty difficult to mix stuff in from a third / fourth deck on a 2 channel mixer? You can see I’m new to all of this.

Apart from the obvious lack of jog wheels is there much difference between these two set ups in terms of being able to get the most out of the Traktor software? Portability is not an issue, I doubt that these will leave the house more than once or twice a year to the odd house party with friends, my days of lugging equipment to clubs and bars are long gone. I just want something I can plug into my laptop and mix away, I don’t want to spend time remapping stuff.

Cheers,

Rob

s4 or s8 would be a good all in one i guess, or you could go with a real mixer and an x1 and f1... if u have money to spend id go the modular route. get a real nice 4 channel mixer and some usb deck controls. unless u like to scratch. then id say 1200s, nice mixer and some dicers would be a nice rig..

as everyone knows here im a big fan of the akai apc40 mapped to traktor, which is very affordable but you need a soundcard.
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

fyi mapping is the true power and beauty of traktor, dont be scared.
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Tech Guru

From a hardcore Traktor user, I would recommend buy a second hand S4. You can get the Mk 1's pretty cheap now and that will do everything you could want to do with Traktor right off the bat. Then add a couple of F1s when you're ready for it and your golden.
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

Tech Mentor

The S8 might be to much.
    X1, F1, Z1 might be irritating and cost a lot of USB plugs.
    I recommend an all in one controller.
    I would advice you the S4.
    It´s like the classic setup you were used to, but you can use the Sample Decks aswell.
    It has Jogs, a sound interface, it has a free copy of Traktor inside and works out of the box. AND you can map it (remember: the beauty of the software) in MidiMode! (Which means you could map the faders to the focused sample deck!)

You can add endless midi controller later on, as long as you don´t run out of USB ports.
    Last edited by c0nsul; 01-26-2015 at 01:22 PM.

MacBookPro 11,1 | i5 2,4GHz | 16 GB RAM | 256 GB SSD
    MacOSX 10.15.x | TraktorPro 3.x | VCI-100 SE FW 1.4 | VCI-400 SE (EGE)

If deadset on traktor why not an s2 and f1 then have the option of remix decks so can experience that.... I have often thought about picking up a used s2 and f1 and usuing it but I simply don't have room for that and my serato setup although I still watch for a hot deal or two on eBay....

Tech Guru

Having a remix deck without a dedicated mixer channel to EQ/fade it out will put you off the remix decks faster than you can say "no global control".

Seriously, you'll want those 2 extra channels if you're going into the 3/4/remix deck scene.
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

Quote Originally Posted by the mongrel View Post
    Anyway. I’ve narrowed my choice of controller down to an S2 MkII or a Z1 with an X1 MkII. If later on I want to use a third / fourth deck for samples and loops I take it I can just add an F1 to either of these set ups? The X1 doesn’t have faders so I’m guessing it would be pretty difficult to mix stuff in from a third / fourth deck on a 2 channel mixer? You can see I’m new to all of this.
    The Z1 is designed for two channels, but there is a MIDI map right here on DJTT that allows you to use it for all four channels.

You simply use the filter buttons to toggle between channels.

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Having a remix deck without a dedicated mixer channel to EQ/fade it out will put you off the remix decks faster than you can say "no global control".

Seriously, you'll want those 2 extra channels if you're going into the 3/4/remix deck scene.
    Would you not be able to control deck 3
    And 4 with f1? My understanding was you'd be able to control stuff with it...

Or could just get a f1 and X1 likely be effective X1 for controls but meh I've not used traktor now for a bit should fire it up sometime and see what's changed....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast