First gig...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First gig...

Tech Wizard

Default First gig...

Got my first gig coming up in a few weeks time and I was looking for some tips & advice please.

Basically I've been bedroom DJing for over a year now and I do feel comfortable mixing tunes together etc, so I am playing a 1 hour set near the end of the month. What's worrying me the most is being unsure with the clubs equipment: I'm used to a Pioneer DJM 350 (low end model) and I'm assuming they'll probably have a 4 channel Pioneer mixer (900 nexus). I can't rent or practice on that beforehand, should I be worried?

Also, DJing in my room I find that whilst a track is playing I'm not actually doing that much. What should I do to 'look busy' during my set? I'm not used to having all eyes on me and it's a bit daunting to be honest.

Any help is appreciated guys!

Cheers

What format will you be mixing with ? I would say don't worry to much about the mixer. All you need to do is use the two channels, cross fader and the gains(Treble,Mids,Bass) above the channels you are using. Just to be on the safe side, don't bother trying to use the effects, unless you know what you are doing. Though, all the djm series are sort of the same.

It is a lot of fun playing on a loud system so just relax and try to enjoy the experience ! Some may disagree, but from personal experience, don't drink any alcohol till after your set..

Tech Wizard

It's a trance night and like I say I'm fairly comfortable mixing at home / in front of a few friends etc.

Main my worries are nerves getting the better of me, being a bit unsure with the equipment (though I should be ok) but most of all looking busy.

With trance, some songs can be 6-7 minutes long. Apart from the initial transition into the next track, what should I be doing to 'look busy'? It's quite a small/intimate venue so people will be standing right in front of me basically.

You don't need to "look" busy. You WILL be busy. With the added pressure you are feeling time will fly. You'll be cueing your mix for longer than usual because you'll want to get it exactly right. If you find yourself with some spare time on your hands use it to relax and enjoy the experience. Dance a little.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

First of all congratulations, is there anyway you can find out what kind of equipment the club will have. Maybe you can imagine everyone on the dance floor in their underware to relieve the stress. You have to report back and let us know how it went I have a my first gig coming up in a month or so and Im already sweating bullets, Good luck Im sure you'll fine.
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

Don't worry at all. Go early, see what they have. You may have to adapt, and adapt you will, and quicker than you think. Don't worry about the looking busy, when you are planning what your next few tunes are you'll be busy, and putting in the odd effect at appropriate times if the gear allows it. Just do what you do, be yourself, don't act the superstar, stay humble, the audience appreciate that, and you'll do well, and make sure you enjoy yourself too. When you see reactions from the dancefloor, the buzz can be awesome.
    Pretty much all the pioneer players operate the same, bar the size of jog wheels on different models, mixers offer the same basic functions, you'll be fine. All the best for the gig.
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

all mixers do the same thing... think of it like driving a car, they all generally do the same thing.

you have to look busy, i generally look and smile at the crowd and then search for another tune. or at least pretend to search for another tune if I already have one selcted.

#1 MIND YOUR LEVELS

talk to the sound guy and maintain occasional eye contact with him. Let him tell you to turn it down. (but don't clip)
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

The thing i found i had the most trouble with on my first gig was the monitoring situation, the monitors where that loud it was hard to hear what was going on in the headphones, turning them down did nothing as the club had a horrible set up when it come to the sound system. As for advice - keep your cool and try to relax before stepping up, have a drink if it helps (but not too much!!) go and dance get a feel for the dancefloor and see what is working for the crowd, and once you are up there dont forget about the people on the dancefloor, they feed off you and you feed off them, focus on the ones loving it and concentrate on keeping them with you, if you get a small group dancing the rest will follow... also enjoy it - thats why we are all doing this in the first place

If you play on a big soundsystem the first few songs might be a bit 'overwhelming' everything sounds so different. A transition that sounded great on your home setup suddenly sounds super weird, the bass of one song sounds way louder than the other, etc. My advice is: Prepare, but don't over-prepare. Have the songs you wanna play ready, but be ready to adapt your set to the place / crowd. Have some backup solution ready
    I think the hardest part is 'getting the sound right'. Try to really grasp how to control the monitor speaker and turn it down every now and then to hear the main mix. Actually, make it a habit to turn it down all the time to save your ears.
    I found myself to be incredible busy and super nervous the first times I played. Definitely had no problems 'looking busy'. Now that I have played some gigs I can enjoy playing in clubs more and more, have a chat, drinks, talk with dem ladies, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast