Have you musical tastes changed since becoming a DJ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Have you musical tastes changed since becoming a DJ?

I know mine have changed before I thought of DJ'ing I used to be into Paul Okenfold. Now I've opened my mind to all types of music that I would have never given a chance before. It's funnie I was into EDM even before I knew what EDM was lol.
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

No... I got into DJing because i fell in love with a certain genre and wanted to listen to it/show it to everyone. my sound has progressed over the years ever so slightly. but my tastes have not changed.

Schalenberg

I grew up on trance. I still have all those old Oakenfold CDs (A Voyage into Trance, Tranceport, etc.). Took a break from Electronic music around 18 when house became more mainstream, got into old school hip-hop, started DJing with the indie-dance boom, and now mostly play the type of house that turned me off to dance music in the first place.

Tech Mentor

I believe the longer you DJ, the more your tastes are going to change. Simply because you have to keep up with the trends as part of your job. For me, most definitely. But... 30 years of doing this on and off, I would not expect anything less.
    I started out playing disco and freestyle in the 80's... But now, I can't understand how I put up with the out of key, nasally singing of the late 80's freestyle music lol.
    Although... I do sneak it into a set every so often if the crowd is right

I started out with electro back in like 07, from there it went into minimal.. From minimal it progressed into electro, or bounce to be specific.. From there it went to deep house, which progressed into ghouse/nudisco type stuff. I still like it all, out side of what electro has turned into.. Aka "progressive" house.

Trance (oakenfold/sasha) -> Progressive (Tomiie, muir) -> electro house (~2005) -> nu skool breaks (2007) -> trance & progressive house (2009) -> techno (Mr.C) -> minimal, techno, and deep house (2014...back to listening to sasha).

Tech Guru

I am a mobile DJ, so I play for the people in the room....not necessarily to my own tastes. That forces me to listen to a wider range of music than I otherwise might seek out.

Yes: My tastes have changed with age and exposure to a wider range of music than I would have listened to based solely on my own prerogative.

No: I have always been someone who jumps from genre to genre, and artist to artist, doing a "deep dive" into the music and really geeking out for a while (year? two?) and then moving on. I like to trace an established genres or artists development by digging into the back catalog and seeing how they changed over time. That is how I like to explore music, and that has never really changed.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Trance (oakenfold/sasha) -> Progressive (Tomiie, muir) -> electro house (~2005) -> nu skool breaks (2007) -> trance & progressive house (2009) -> techno (Mr.C) -> minimal, techno, and deep house (2014...back to listening to sasha).
    Wow this is literally my exact same transformations. Except everything started in 2009 for me :-p

i grew up listening to oldskool (early 90s) towards the end on the 90s i jumped on the trance/progressive bandwagon, then i discovered nu-skool breaks, which was when i decided to have ago at DJing, held a couple of residencies during this period - none of my mates were into breaks so ended up going out to alot of techno and house nights, as a result i started played house with a mate as a duo, from breaks i started to get into the psychedelic side, mood deluxe/hedflux/roboteknic this is where my musical tastes started to become way to niche and selective despite the amazing level of production that goes into making psybreaks/techfunk. This was where i started to fall out of love with djing a little, i was self teaching myself to produce music at the same time (a hard road to travel) i had a long hard think about it and realised things needed to be fun otherwise whats the point?? I now get my kicks from techno and house music - it stays fun, keeps evolving and has been a constant throughout the history of dancemusic. I think its healthy that your tastes change over time it opens your mind more, gives you new insight, and keeps you fresh

Your musical taste changes over time whether you're a DJ or not.

You have to decide if you want your mixing to reflect your own musical taste, or whether you want to play a house/techno/breaks/gabba* set every time you play out.

*Delete as applicable.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast