Mixer advice - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mixer advice

There is plenty of good solid mixers for less than 1000 bucks. Don't let the Pioneer Fanboys tell you you need "the industry standard" or something.

A&H Xone Mixers are nice, but need some "getting used to" time. I would definitely try them before buying. They are definitely not everyones thing.

I will get flamed to death for this by the Pio fanboys again but I recently tried out one of the newer Reloop mixers and was very positively surprised. Nice buildquality and the FX where really not bad.

If you consider getting Technics you might also think about keeping the S8 as a mixer. It's a very solid 4 channel standalone mixer for its price and it includes a Traktor Scratch license which you could use with the turntables.

Of course the Pioneer mixers are great products too, but they are ridiculously overpriced. If you play out you'll find it easy to adapt to them and can still use them.

Personally, I have used a lot of different mixers. The Allen and Heath mixers are brilliant, and very much respected in the DJ world. Don't be fooled by 'industry standard' as mentioned previously, shop around. You know what you want, and need. I use Denon Gear, and use an older DN-X1500, 500 and an MC-6K MK2. And to be honest, they have caused me no trouble at all, and are solid. In my 20 ish years of DJ'n, I have seen more pio gear fail than any other premium brand.
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

Tech Mentor

Get a Pioneer DJM-850. It has almost all the good parts of the 900, but some bonus extra's as the Echo Up as well. That fx alone makes me want it that much more than a DJM-900.

And Pio fanboys or not, just look at the secondhand market. I've tried some mixers, but it's always the DJM's that I prefer. That is personal, I know it, but that opinion is shared with the mass.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by sheikyerbouti View Post
    There is plenty of good solid mixers for less than 1000 bucks. Don't let the Pioneer Fanboys tell you you need "the industry standard" or something.

A&H Xone Mixers are nice, but need some "getting used to" time. I would definitely try them before buying. They are definitely not everyones thing.

I will get flamed to death for this by the Pio fanboys again but I recently tried out one of the newer Reloop mixers and was very positively surprised. Nice buildquality and the FX where really not bad.

If you consider getting Technics you might also think about keeping the S8 as a mixer. It's a very solid 4 channel standalone mixer for its price and it includes a Traktor Scratch license which you could use with the turntables.

Of course the Pioneer mixers are great products too, but they are ridiculously overpriced. If you play out you'll find it easy to adapt to them and can still use them.
    I'd keep the s8 if I was you. If you don't use the remix decks I'm sure you can do a million other things with a s8. Map some buttons to some effects or a loop recorder. Traktor is ten times more capable then a pioneer setup. I have a friend with all the top of the line pio and as he showed it to me, I felt bad. My z2 and TTs, which were a fifth of the cost could do ten times more than his setup. Granted it's not that out of package experience.
    Traktor Z2, Numark TTX1,Ableton Live 9/Push,Roland TR8,Eurorack modular
    Techno/Experimental

Quote Originally Posted by mrdorianjames View Post
    I'd keep the s8 if I was you. If you don't use the remix decks I'm sure you can do a million other things with a s8. Map some buttons to some effects or a loop recorder. Traktor is ten times more capable then a pioneer setup. I have a friend with all the top of the line pio and as he showed it to me, I felt bad. My z2 and TTs, which were a fifth of the cost could do ten times more than his setup. Granted it's not that out of package experience.
    Unfortunately you can't re-map the S8 remix controls (yet) if you don't want to put the whole unit into Midi mode which makes you loose the normal functionality. The mapping on the S8 is way to complex to let people mess around with it I guess.
    But still, with an S8 you have a very solid 4 channel mixer, a Traktor controller and a DVS soundcard in one device. Not the worst deal.

Also... a lot of DJs (including me) get bored after doing 2 channel song 2 song mixes and you'll be happy to be able to do more without upgrading to a totally different setup

I can vouch for Ecler mixers as well. Good quality for the price and have always kept me happy. All current modells also have good send-return if you want to encorporate an external effect unit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12