Anti Virus software - Mac
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anti Virus software - Mac

Looking fro some opionions on a good anti virus software for my Mac. Something preferebly that dosnt use a whole lot of CPU power?

The only one that comes to mind is Intego Virus Barrier. I guess you can disable the background checker if you're worried about a few extra CPU cycles.

I would't trust anything by Norton though. I've got a personal vendetta against them and also suspect that they produce around 60% of the viruses themselves <__< but that's just between you and me :P

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Norton ... I had it for a year. No idea if it ever did anything. In fact it did jack shit.
    I know Norton screwed my g/fs laptop up.
    So i agree with Alex , stay the fuck away from Norton.

Ive got 4 Macs and never bothered with Anti Virus appart from that one time.
    Suppose its only a matter of time before Macs start getting hit good and proper.
    I should invest.

I accidently bought a 3 user McAfee for my 1 Dell desktop (doh). Wonder if they do Mac protection, maybe i could get one of my licenses transfered.
    Im talking shit i know!!!

So far I got good results with ClamAV, which is free by the way.
    I used to dislike it because it used almost all of the resources when scanning, but the new version seems to have cured that habit. Not it runs very smooth for me and does an automated check on every volume I connect to my mac. Becomes rather embarrassing for my Windows-using friends when I spot viruses on their USB-Drives
    I can only second (or technically third) that opinion on Norton- it's no good on PC and Mac doesn't get any special care- so better stay away from it.
    I mix stuff on my things...

if it runs on a mac, i'd suggest AVG (version 9 now) used it for last couple of years with no problems, it's now on my laptop, wifes laptop and the media/file server pc

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by BradCee View Post
    if it runs on a mac
    It doesn't -> Operational System
    mintek on mixcloud | http://www.mixcloud.com/mintek/
    xone:92 | 2 x Kontrol X1 | 2 x cdj1000 mkII | pdx-2300 mkII pro | rp-dj 1200 | audio 8 dj | tsp 2.0.1 | live 8 suite | logic pro 9 | komplete 5

Tech Mentor

Why run an anti virus program? I know its always good to have one, especially for a pc. Mac owners are living an a era equivalent to, pre aids post coke in the USA. Ill rather not tax my cpu or have a anti virus software corrupt my OSX. To be safe I always go to reliable sites and get my data from good sources.
    Thank Ya!!!

Quote Originally Posted by luv2xra View Post
    Why run an anti virus program? I know its always good to have one, especially for a pc. Mac owners are living an a era equivalent to, pre aids post coke in the USA. Ill rather not tax my cpu or have a anti virus software corrupt my OSX. To be safe I always go to reliable sites and get my data from good sources.
    still could get a virus though....

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Just found that MacHeist have a new nano bundle with 6 apps for free, but if you share the link on facebook you get Intego Virus barrier for free.

http://www.macheist.com/

Thought I'd give you guys the heads up

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by luv2xra View Post
    You can join a perfect clone site of your banking account site and get caugh by a virus or something like that...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast