DJing in a new city...

Default DJing in a new city...

Ok, so i moved to Montreal back in November. I am am settling in just fine, but I am still working on setting up m new studio.

How would you approach getting gigs in a new city?? I am following all of the right channels on twitter etc... i even automated message from certian people(ifttt) so i find out about events right away. I am always showing support for other artists as well as posting regular mixes and tracks. What's next??

I'd go to the parties and start connecting with people in real life. May it be the dj/the bartender/the clubowner etc.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Find a bar that has no DJ in it. Offer your sevices for free.

Promote and build your own night. If you can fill a bar, club gigs will follow.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Convert

When I moved to my new city, the best way I found to get gigs was to go to parties (not always clubs or venues), but actual house parties or events like that and meet people there. I started getting house party gigs and then better ones.

If you go to see shows frequently at the same venues you can also try and meet some of the promoters of that venue or people who work there. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by NEBULAE View Post
    When I moved to my new city, the best way I found to get gigs was to go to parties (not always clubs or venues), but actual house parties or events like that and meet people there. I started getting house party gigs and then better ones.

If you go to see shows frequently at the same venues you can also try and meet some of the promoters of that venue or people who work there. Good luck!
    I have been going to my house parties actually may end up with a new private studio as a result

Like Ed said.. Go connect with the people involved. Tell them you make music, give out a few USB sticks, etc. If they like your stuff and your attitude you'll find your way in.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    Like Ed said.. Go connect with the people involved. Tell them you make music, give out a few USB sticks, etc. If they like your stuff and your attitude you'll find your way in.
    side note: don't spam them. take your time. make friends.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Paris View Post
    This
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Paris View Post
    I usually give my messages 2 weeks to reach the person, but sometimes i may give a follow up message.

welp, i guess all i can do now is continue to talk to my DJ connections here while i was for Trance Unity festival

Quote Originally Posted by calgarc View Post
    I usually give my messages 2 weeks to reach the person, but sometimes i may give a follow up message.

welp, i guess all i can do now is continue to talk to my DJ connections here while i was for Trance Unity festival
    I would not rely on a message.. I would find a way to meet the people involved. Show up to events as they open... That's really the best time in my opinion. Don't come off needy, don't get all weird and beg for spots. It's as simple as this..

"Hey I'm new in town and being a Dj and producer I thought I would come check out your event."

See where it goes and if they seem rather genuine, give em a USB stick with a few of your tunes. Don't pressure people, that's the main point.