Getting Technics. What to know?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Schalenberg

Default Getting Technics. What to know?

Finally trading my CDJ 850s for a pair of Technics MK5s tomorrow. The tt's are in excellent condition (or so the seller says) and have just been serviced. I've never messed with vinyl before. Honestly, I don't know how the hell to set up/use a turntable. What are some key bits of information I should know?

make sure you set up your needles correctly for starters or youll ruin vinyls. other than that...have fun!
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Quote Originally Posted by Deejaesnafu View Post
    make sure you set up your needles correctly for starters or youll ruin vinyls. other than that...have fun!
    Lol there we go scare him right off the bat

Schalenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    Lol there we go scare him right off the bat
    Lol my girl bought me a ton of vinyl for my bday and said, "don't mess those up, ok?" I'm like, "what do you mean?!" I'll be careful.

Somebody on this forum pointed me to this guy years ago. He's got some great vids on maintaining your turntables.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Schalenberg

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    Somebody on this forum pointed me to this guy years ago. He's got some great vids on maintaining your turntables.
    Great stuff. Thanks man.

"Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

You can always buy needles/cartridges pre-mounted on headshells. It's more expensive, but I'm lazy.

Watch this video:

Make sure your counterweight is properly setup for your cartridge once you have it, and ensure the skate levels are set properly. (videos to set these out there in mass on youtube)

Have fun!
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Tech Wizard

See if you can find someone to ground them internally. Make sure the RCAs are still in good condition as well.

I upgraded my RCAs and did the ground mod 2 years ago and never looked back!

yah the one huge design flaw of techs is that they never made an external connection bay, rather than housing the connections in the turntable..

still the best ever tho so
    Last edited by Deejaesnafu; 02-20-2015 at 04:55 PM.
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast