Windows 7 Headache
    Tech Convert

Default Windows 7 Headache

Hey all...this is more an opportunity to vent my rage so bare with me..

Just received my shiny new Dell 1557 i7 laptop with Windows 7 64bit Professional installed, 6gb RAM. Super quick in OS, screen is 15.6" 1080p and looks niiiiiiiice. Blu Ray recorder too. Basically a very nice laptop.

Problem 1:
    Behringer. NO 64 bit driver support for my lil' BCD 3000.
    Tried various versions of drivers, compatibility modes etc but nope, even Behringer themselves say DON'T BOTHER! Almost funny, but mostly annoying as I really need to get a working system for my next set on Wednesday. Argh.

Problem 2:
    M-Audio Ozone. This time, drivers are available. Great!
    Oh. Wait. Not so great. Vista 64bit drivers install..then don't support MIDI in or out. Search a bit more...aha..Windows 7, 64bit drivers! Download-install-fail. Thanks. No dice :/ Double argh.
    (this is for my Record/Reason install..not technically DJing related but a major use for my laptop)

Solution 1:
    Slightly long winded but I get to keep my nice laptop:
    Dual boot Windows 7 32bit which means loosing access to 2Gb of RAM & a fair bit of faff.

Solution 2:
    Rather drastic but would be SO much simpler.
    Return Dell under their "£20 to return in under 7 days deal" and buy a Apple Mac Book Pro 17".
    Everything works under Macs', right???

Any suggestions or similar tales of woe out there?
    Traktor Pro - Behringer BCD3000 - Akai LPD8

Tech Wizard

You should dual boot and install leopard on another partition. When my macbook pro was down, I took my brothers asus laptop installed leopard... and the BCD sound card and traktor pro worked flawlessly. (you just need to buy a copy of mac osx and look up how to dual boot).

I don't blame windows for the BCD not working, behringer has always had shit drivers for it and back in the day when I used XP i could never get the damn thing working properly.(if it didn't blue screen, it would just stop playback after 10 seconds or so)

I found using the mac osx was the only solution for using my bcd with the included sound card.

If you do the dual boot on your laptop you will have a fast machine with mac osx for waaaaay cheaper than apple will sell a similar machine for. (dual booting mac osx is not a new concept this has been done for quite some time so there should be plenty of resources out the and its a lot easier nowadays).

Good luck! Sounds like a sweet laptop!
    Electro House

[Podcast] Adrian P : Bangin' On Ya System

Subscribe!

Tech Convert

Thanks for the reply, it's given some hope where there was none!
    Been digging around the Hackintosh sites but no one has approached i7 laptops as far as I can tell.
    For simplicitys sake I'm going to try a dual boot of Win7 32 bit, I'll report back with my findings...
    Traktor Pro - Behringer BCD3000 - Akai LPD8