which one to choose? thinkpad or lenovo
    Tech Mentor

Default which one to choose? thinkpad or lenovo

Hey guys I'm just looking for a laptop to dj with and it came down to a few.

http://www.cbit.ca/promotions/pdfs/LaptopsPG1.pdf
    (the 3 lenovos)

http://www.cbit.ca/promotions/pdfs/LaptopsPG2.pdf
    (ibm thinkpad42)

I'll be trying my best to make it a dj only laptop but most likely going to be using it as a day to day laptop as well for a couple of months before I make it dedicated to dj'ing only. Which one you guys think I should get. Money ain't an issue until it reaches over 8 or 900 haha.

Quote Originally Posted by r0bust View Post
    Money ain't an issue until it reaches over 8 or 900 haha.
    find a used macbook pro

of those I would get the $649 Lenovo and try to downgrade it to XP. That way you can make different hardware profiles and turn off everything you dont need when you dj.
    2 x Techinics 1200 mkIIs, SL1, Pioneer DJM-500, Novation Dicer, Stanton 680 carts, Acer Aspire 1410 11" Netbook
    ----------------------------------------------------

http://twitter.com/djlokifl

I use a lenovo 3000 n500 and it's fine. Cheap as chips and does the job
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by LanceBlaise View Post
    find a used macbook pro
    My parents wouldn't be cool with me dropping like 900 bucks on a used item and I wouldn't trust just anybody selling a macbook with no guarantee y'know.

@djlokifl- you mean make a dual boot/make a second account for dj'ing use only?

@Teiresias-is your laptop the one with the celeron processor? Is it capable to use with traktor and all of the other high processor software?
    Last edited by r0bust; 11-08-2009 at 03:52 PM.

Tech Mentor

Lenovo makes ThinkPads for IBM now, so if you're getting one made by IBM, its probably an older one.

And after reinstalling a PDF viewer and checking out those links, yeah. The IBM is a (much) older model, and you'd be best off with any of the lenovo models.

IMO take one of the ones with 3 gigs of ram, and from there whichever has the HDD size that fits your needs. (i.e. smaller HDD if you store your music on an external drive, larger one otherwise)
    I'm not good at things, but I like to pretend I am.
    :Project-Segfault:

Tech Mentor

get yourself a thinkpad from the SL-series! much better built than the "normal" Lenovo notebooks. they're the cheapest option for getting into the thinkpad line of lenovo. its best to get them directly from lenovo.
    here's a link for a good one: http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...%3A0000280D%3A

if you can you should upgrade the processor to the P7570, choose 4GB of RAM and maybe a stronger battery pack (6 or 9 cell). all that should still keep you under 800 USD and you have a great system for everyday use and DJing!
    Stanton SCS3 System

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    Lenovo makes ThinkPads for IBM now
    I was just going to say that. Think they are the same internals, just different designs
    Current Top 3:
    1. Loco Dice - Seeing through Shadows
    2. Light Year - Sex Education
    3. Simian Mobile Disco - Cruel Intentions (DJ Pierre Remix)

Tech Guru

There's a post somewhere about Notebooks, I remember we had a technician support member that used to fix all types of notebooks and he wrote a nice review of all kind of NBs...
    If you find it post it here to refereer for us