How many songs for a 4 hour gig? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

That guy has to tape his headphones to his head if he wants to go more than 10 minutes.

Tech Wizard

It's actually pretty cool how he transitions from a shuffle to straight eighths. He quickly 1/8 loops just a syllable of Al Jardine while mixing in Cassie. I'll have to remember that trick the next time I have to tackle "Latch" during the night. Fortunately that nightmare track for mixing is getting past pull date.

Most of you guys have no clue what I just said. But you open format residents do. High 5s gentlemen

Oh yeah. How many songs during a 4 hour gig. Every DJ has his own rhythm. If yours is 3 minutes per track then you have it figured out as far as how many you're actually going to play. How many to bring - that's another question. My active playlist is probably around 800, although I'll only use maybe 140 during any given night.

How good is that guy in the video by your standards? Just trying to get a gauge. He seems to have some really nice transitions. A few nice mixes. Being new, it sounds good with a few style hiccups that I wouldn't do myself.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by b ill View Post
    It's actually pretty cool how he transitions from a shuffle to straight eighths. He quickly 1/8 loops just a syllable of Al Jardine while mixing in Cassie. I'll have to remember that trick the next time I have to tackle "Latch" during the night. Fortunately that nightmare track for mixing is getting past pull date.

Most of you guys have no clue what I just said. But you open format residents do. High 5s gentlemen

Oh yeah. How many songs during a 4 hour gig. Every DJ has his own rhythm. If yours is 3 minutes per track then you have it figured out as far as how many you're actually going to play. How many to bring - that's another question. My active playlist is probably around 800, although I'll only use maybe 140 during any given night.
    The only Latch I know is the one Youtube told me was the only relevant one: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=latch
    I don't get why that's a problem as it has a 30 second lead-in..? Anyways, I play loads of open-format, nice reverb or echo-lpf always does the trick for hard to mix tracks.

@Genius Magnus;
    The thing is, it's probably a routine. Looks really hard and it is, but he's probably perfected it. This would barely be possible if he didn't set up the tracks properly.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Student View Post
    The only Latch I know is the one Youtube told me was the only relevant one: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=latch
    I don't get why that's a problem as it has a 30 second lead-in..? Anyways, I play loads of open-format, nice reverb or echo-lpf always does the trick for hard to mix tracks.
    The problem is the track is in 6/8 time while practically everything else (with the exception of a few weird things like "Cooler Than Me", "SOS", and classics like "Jammin'") is in 4/4. The time signatures clash while mixing, which has to be done back to back with whatever...

I actually ended up putting my own header on the track that's just straight 4's with a triplet tishy snare lead-in.

I can't believe you mix open format and never heard of "Latch" before. It was huge last summer. I was getting requests for it every night.

Tech Convert

15 songs the first hour because it's usually like a start or build up to the night, then the last three hours of dancing average 40 songs per hour, so 135 for a 4 hour gig, my new years party 500 guests video mixing 6pm to 2 am I played around 300 songs. Out here the market is very competitive, the DJs that play songs for a long amount of time passed 3 minutes are shunned by clients for being slow pace and not exciting enough, the DJs that play songs for less than two minutes are given the most pay and most business. I'm sure it's different for different areas and clients, My clients are into Bhangra, Bollywood, Top 40, Pop, Hip Hop all remixed live, some even video mixing live. The best gigs happen during the summer and are all Bhangra, the tradition is to throw singles on the dance floor to bless anyone dancing, they come to me and give me a 100 dollar bill for 100 singles I bring, they throw the singles on the floor and my helper goes to collect them, they bring us another 100 dollar bill and we give them more singles, repeating the process in a good night can yield more than the client even pays us, the best I have ever seen was over 40k thrown in a night(very rare). So yes I am not going to quit playing my music fast because thats what attracts those kinds of clients.

40 per hour!!!???

Intense
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

Dang.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" Iím the Dude, so thatís what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if youíre not into the whole brevity thing. "

depending on how and what you play, it should be somewhere between 35 and 800

Quote Originally Posted by DJ AKaash View Post
    15 songs the first hour because it's usually like a start or build up to the night, then the last three hours of dancing average 40 songs per hour, so 135 for a 4 hour gig, my new years party 500 guests video mixing 6pm to 2 am I played around 300 songs. Out here the market is very competitive, the DJs that play songs for a long amount of time passed 3 minutes are shunned by clients for being slow pace and not exciting enough, the DJs that play songs for less than two minutes are given the most pay and most business. I'm sure it's different for different areas and clients, My clients are into Bhangra, Bollywood, Top 40, Pop, Hip Hop all remixed live, some even video mixing live. The best gigs happen during the summer and are all Bhangra, the tradition is to throw singles on the dance floor to bless anyone dancing, they come to me and give me a 100 dollar bill for 100 singles I bring, they throw the singles on the floor and my helper goes to collect them, they bring us another 100 dollar bill and we give them more singles, repeating the process in a good night can yield more than the client even pays us, the best I have ever seen was over 40k thrown in a night(very rare). So yes I am not going to quit playing my music fast because thats what attracts those kinds of clients.
    I can't really picture it or visualise it what you mean with throwing singles on the ground. Could you make a video?
    http://soundcloud.com/thom-b/
    2011-04-14-the-corners-of-my

KONTROL S8, 2x KONTROL D2, XONE DB4, traktor audio 10, kontrol x1, pioneer hdj 2000, software traktor scratch pro 2 & ableton suite 9

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast