Need your opinion... - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I don't think "ass kissing" is the right way to describe it.. I would say do something more along the lines of supporting local nights where you live. Show face, talk to people, talk to DJs, etc. Don't act like a kid essentially.

I don't think you have to engrain yourself into the scene of a venue just to play a gig, lots of the times I will just get ahold of the promoter and let him know I am interested in playing a slot if he would have me. Demo's are fairly essential, and don't just cover one genre.

Do a couple sets on one disc of multiple genres , or one set that has multiple genres in it. People don't want to spend HOURS and HOURS listening to your music to see if you can DJ and it always helps if it is in a method that is portable. Ie) CD or downloadable mix on soundcloud.

Essentially if you're a down to earth person that is in it for the music then you shouldn't find it hard to get to where you want to be in terms of playing gigs.

Quote Originally Posted by atontheproton View Post
    I don't think you have to engrain yourself into the scene of a venue just to play a gig, lots of the times I will just get ahold of the promoter and let him know I am interested in playing a slot if he would have me. Demo's are fairly essential, and don't just cover one genre.

Do a couple sets on one disc of multiple genres , or one set that has multiple genres in it. People don't want to spend HOURS and HOURS listening to your music to see if you can DJ and it always helps if it is in a method that is portable. Ie) CD or downloadable mix on soundcloud.

Essentially if you're a down to earth person that is in it for the music then you shouldn't find it hard to get to where you want to be in terms of playing gigs.
    Everywhere is different. If you want to play local parties here, you're expected to support them. If you want to play elsewhere, obviously it depends on your productions and social media presence. I can assure you right now no promoters here that matter will give a shit about your "promo cd with mixes" if you just spam them. Not a single one unless you truly get lucky.

edit- Oh, and as peachy as the whole "as long as you're in it for the music" thing sounds, it's just not reality. Promoters care about heads coming in through the door, liquor sales, then music.

I wish I was wrong about all of the above, because I really wish it was all about the music. Unfortunately it's just not anymore.

Yeah ass kissing is a term used loosly...hehe

It's all about the support of the scene. Trust me the club owner has 50 kids a week knocking down his door trying to get a gig.

But if you show them that you are a supporter of the scene, he will view you differently, make friends with the side room djs, buy them a drink, talk about the genres you have in common, try to fall in with a local crew, gigs will come.

Quote Originally Posted by 031999 View Post
    Yeah ass kissing is a term used loosly...hehe

It's all about the support of the scene. Trust me the club owner has 50 kids a week knocking down his door trying to get a gig.

But if you show them that you are a supporter of the scene, he will view you differently, make friends with the side room djs, buy them a drink, talk about the genres you have in common, try to fall in with a local crew, gigs will come.
    Amen buddy. Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    Amen buddy. Well said.
    Side room is where its at

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Paris View Post
    you know what sucks? your attitude. if i'd move to a new area, my first aim would be to make friends and not kiss ass. ass kissing might get you the job but it really is about to integrate yourself into the local scene. about to understand who is who, what is what and such. if you're just out for fame you might reconsider what is important to you.
    I wasn't serious about that. I know what's right, what's wrong.

Tech Wizard

I agree, promoters aren't DJs and they care about profit. I just don't understand one thing. You say become friendly with a DJ (besides other staff). I see it like this. If I'll become friends with DJ then I'm going to cut his hours eventually or I'll need to wait till he retires and recommends me as a replacement.

Tech Mentor

that would be true if you assumed the following:

1) the amount of gigs is fixed from now till inifinity
    2) said DJ will always be playing the same gigs, ignoring other commitments and opportunities in their life

Which isn't true in real life. Opportunities will fluctuate in a nearly unpredictable manner. maybe is a growing scene and more entertainers are needed, or maybe said dj cant make a gig because they are feeling ill. or maybe the amount of gigs is shrinking and the direction of music favors you over the other person.

maybe you should take a step back and look at the problems you face trying to achieve you goals and take a different approach. its fair to say that everyones situation has its own unique sets of characteristics that make it a bit different than others, so looking for a blanket solution is going to be as vague and unfulfilling as; "say whats up to people, hang out, and be visible"
    Last edited by Killing time; 03-10-2015 at 05:23 PM.
    Technics 1210 / Pioneer plx 1000 / Xone 42 / Adam a3x / UA apollo twin / Maschine mikro / Ableton live 9 / Maschine 2 / MBP Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast