Need your opinion... - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Point38 View Post
    I agree, promoters aren't DJs and they care about profit. I just don't understand one thing. You say become friendly with a DJ (besides other staff). I see it like this. If I'll become friends with DJ then I'm going to cut his hours eventually or I'll need to wait till he retires and recommends me as a replacement.
    No. This isn't a day job. He can dj at other bars. If he doesn't get slots that's his problem.

I agree, promoters aren't DJs and they care about profit. I just don't understand one thing. You say become friendly with a DJ (besides other staff). I see it like this. If I'll become friends with DJ then I'm going to cut his hours eventually or I'll need to wait till he retires and recommends me as a replacement.
    Your thinking about it wrong. Your thinking about replacing a single resident in a club that plays the whole night. The structure in US is different.

You should be targeting larger clubs or even rave events, that have multiple rooms with multiple djs. It is easier to get onto a bill with many djs, then trying to shoot straight to the top of the local scene. Just work your way up the ladder. It is gonna take a year before you start playing the whole night or playing main-stage. (maybe less if your willing to play Trap lol)

If you are good someone will find a place for you. I think of it like baseball. If you are a good hitter they can't keep you on the bench for long.

Forge some friendships with like minded people. I posted my soundcloud on the the local electronic lovers facebook page and got a new friend out of it. It just happens that he is a local promoter and DJ. He's lots younger and is way more connected to the local vibe. He likes my sound and wants to set me up with a spot at one of his shows. Voila! minimal effort and made a connection.
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Quote Originally Posted by 031999 View Post
    You're thinking about it wrong.
    I think that's his main problem.

You have to put in work.
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Tech Wizard

Thank you for advices and giving me hope!

Thank you for advices and giving me hope!
    I dont want you to think that we are being dicks because we are being blunt, there are some harsh truths that evey DJ in America has to realize at one time or another. Yes I wish i could go start playing in europe, I hear its an amazing scene, but for now we gotta keep bustin ass over on our side of the pond.

Tech Wizard

What a coincidence, I came from Europe to US couple years ago and have been questioning myself if House music here as popular as in EU.

Quote Originally Posted by 031999 View Post
    I dont want you to think that we are being dicks because we are being blunt, there are some harsh truths that evey DJ in America has to realize at one time or another. Yes I wish i could go start playing in europe, I hear its an amazing scene, but for now we gotta keep bustin ass over on our side of the pond.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234