Do any of you experienced DJs perform with Push or Launchpad?
    Tech Convert

Default Do any of you experienced DJs perform with Push or Launchpad?

Hi guys! Another question for you experienced cats?

Do many of you perform sets with Push or Launchpad? If so, how often will you bust out a beat or play a sample during your set?

Also any potential technical difficulties to be aware of when using with CDJs?

Thanks in advance!
    GJF

Hey GJF,

I guess it kinda depends on how you quantify "experienced", but I play out at parties etc. fairly frequently. My set up as it stands is:

Traktor
    Launchpad
    NI F1
    Akai LPD8
    Citronic Turntable (can't remember the model off the top of my head)
    All running out of a NI Audio 8 DJ into my Behringer DDM4000 mixer

So, obviously quite a pad-heavy modular setup!
    I bust out beats, fx, and such on the F1 - simply because the dedicated remix deck control is so damn good. Quantised, synced, keyed up, and ready to go. The launchpad is actually running a slightly modified JWill 2 Deck Launchpad Fighter map from the DJTT Forums.

Hope that's helpful?

Roly
    DJ|Producer|Actor
    SOUNDCLOUD
    ACTING

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by poltergeist View Post
    Hey GJF,

I guess it kinda depends on how you quantify "experienced", but I play out at parties etc. fairly frequently. My set up as it stands is:

Traktor
    Launchpad
    NI F1
    Akai LPD8
    Citronic Turntable (can't remember the model off the top of my head)
    All running out of a NI Audio 8 DJ into my Behringer DDM4000 mixer

So, obviously quite a pad-heavy modular setup!
    I bust out beats, fx, and such on the F1 - simply because the dedicated remix deck control is so damn good. Quantised, synced, keyed up, and ready to go. The launchpad is actually running a slightly modified JWill 2 Deck Launchpad Fighter map from the DJTT Forums.

Hope that's helpful?

Roly
    Thanks for the feedback Roly! Much appreciated!

Yes it does help because I'm a new DJ (but have played in bands for years) and am trying to grasp the reality and practicality of playing out. For example, I've heard differing views that at some places, it's okay to bring your own setup ala laptop/controller whereas others, only CDJs are available and unless you're the headliner, the club owner doesnt want any DJ messing up their pre-existing sound setup. Lastly, I have great respect and admiration for what you and other similar DJs can do with Launchpad but am confused as to how exactly it's used. You're the first i've found that uses it with Traktor (I also love the remix decks) as most of the youtube tutorials are showing it with ableton. So let's say i've got "baby got back" playing and want to transition into a house track (just an example), would i just use the launchpad to play one of the hot parts from baby got back as a loop while mixing in the house track? Would i play the launchpad as a drum machine adding some flavor over certain parts of either song to spice things up? Or, if it's used how it's shown on youtube, am i not even using turntables and just playing a whole set from launchpad, playing only the loops over and over wit different rhythms? to do that for 20 min sounds fun but for two hours, sounds exhausting.

anyways, any opinions greatly appreciated. thanks again man

I had a custom traktor mapping for a launchpad at one time... it made for a great portable backup incase i did not have other gear to use. IMG_9448.jpg