Help - Top Tracks & Playlists In Sets - Remixes To Psy Trance

Default Help - Top Tracks & Playlists In Sets - Remixes To Psy Trance

Hey Everyone,

Jumping into sets and gigs after being out of it for a while makes things quite difficult
    if you're not doing it as a full time job. I'm sure other younger members have similar problems.

So after being out of the circuit for quite a while I've decided to put all my music into Big Main folders not keeping any out in order to start building a new more solid foundation for my sets.

Problem is that music changes very quickly and a hit today might be nothing tomorrow.

I need some advice please.????!!

Taking all genres we play in SA and all over the world I need to construct a couple of sets (Powerful Butt Kicking Sets) in order to start my new gig line up in the next few weeks.

Thank you to DJTT I've purchased the all mighty MIK6 upgraded to 7 and finding that this transformation
    to start right at the beginning building it all up again is the only proper thing to do.

Where can I possibly find track listings of the Older to more recent tracks still popular and used by "YOU" guys today?
    Hits from 2011 Until Recent (Even Older Bangers). I've searched the web but nothing that I can use
    relating to let's say Electro House top 200 or similar 2011 to 2014.

I'm now going back to playing for younger crowds between 17 and 25 and would hate to get my &8*@ kicked by
    the younger guys even though I've helped some of them getting started.

Sets building up from early evening:

Early Start Up Music Mild

Top 40 Remixes: Radio hits like Adelle / Pitbull etc

House - Electro House - Dubstep - Vocal Trance to Trance - Dance/Hard Dance - Psy Trance

Any other genres you feel could be added welcome.

Of course the Power Hour stretch from 11:30 to 1:30 which is the most recent tracks with a few older favorites.

Sorry for the lengthy explanation but hope you understand enough to be able to assist me.

Regards,

Stone
    DJ Stone - South Africa
    Macbook pro 13 - Traktor S4 - 2 x Midi Fighters
    Everyday is a learning experience.
    Facebook - YouTube - SoundCloud

I mean... putting this together is what a DJ does.

aka - do it yourself or don't do it at all.

I know that's not helpful - but I know I myself put a LOT of time into my playlists and wouldn't share them with anyone - I would hope others feel the same way.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Convert

Wow, that's kinda a messed up answer, but at least he's being honest about it (although ironically it's not like he wrote the music) Sorry, I've been a gigging musician for years before dj'ing so I can be a snob too.

Anyways, I'm in a somewhat similar boat as you but the difference is instead of dj'ing, I've been playing/writing music in live bands. So what I've done is a variety of things. Number 1 - Make young friends. Easier said than done, I know. I don't know what to tell you but I guess I've been fortunate to still like to party and have several friends who are more than a decade younger than me (haha, my ex was 13 years younger than me, I'm late 30s) so I learned a lot from them both for hip hop and EDM. Off the top of my head would be Above and Beyond, Kaskade, Martin Garrix for EDM heads, for hip hop, it's gotta be trap. Like ASAP Rocky, Flosstradamus, Lil Jon, anything with Drake, Baauer. Dubstep, Skrillex has been huge for awhile now but not sure if the venue you play will love him/hate him, he seems to instill that sorta feeling with people. I would also reference the obvious charts like Billboard and Beatport charts to get a feel for what is selling now and being played constantly. Also, if you find a DJ/artist you like, check out their blogs/twitter/forums to see who they like.

Also, check out multiple DJ forums (DJ tech tools is great, but not the only one) as there might be other, more helpful positive DJs willing to share. Youtube as well. I'm sure you've heard of ellaskins and the other DJmtv something (the hip hop dj). I've often bought songs they've used in their tutorials.

Oh, I've recently been trying to learn more about open format dj'ing and found this guy Agent Smith who does crazy mixes with current and old songs from different genres. Just look at his playlists and you'll find a good start.

http://itsagentsmith.com/category/music

Hope this helps and good luck man

EDIT: Just saw that you're in South Africa. I have no idea what's hot over there now. I'd recommend you google search the hottest clubs in South Africa, find the hottest djs and see if any of them have playlists. I'm here in LA and I've noticed that say, Drake, is HUGE, here and of course, Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg, but then in NY, they play way more Jay Z and other East Coast hip hop so find out who the taste makers/influencers are in your area (maybe Top 40 radio DJs)
    Last edited by Gjfukit; 03-16-2015 at 04:12 AM.

Thank you Gjfukit for your very nice reply. Helpful Replay.

Hi Bassline Brine,
    Yes I Agree with your response 100%.
    I have plenty of playlists that I've used before.

It's never a problem making a playlist. And mmm I'm old school, believe in sharing to help someone being better than they were before.

I'm not asking for playlists.
    I was thinking if we put ideas together and have a top List of tracks in genres that works all over it might help.

I play quite a bit of Romanian club music early evening. Nobody did it before here. And it sets
    a great mood for the start of the evening until about 22H00, specially with the ladies.

I don't play a full set just in one genre. It's too overpowering although they love Dubstep, They can't handle it for too long.

A song like this, Dj Bomba - Crazy Pipe (Vocal Club Mix).mp3
    is something i can use at any gig later in the evening and get a good response. So that is something I'll have in a main playlist.

And maybe you have not used it for some time or don't like it. But someone else here might say: "Hell I forgot all about that track"
    and use it again.

Hope it's a bit more clear on the idea.

Regards
    DJ Stone - South Africa
    Macbook pro 13 - Traktor S4 - 2 x Midi Fighters
    Everyday is a learning experience.
    Facebook - YouTube - SoundCloud

Tech Convert

Hey DJ Stone, here is a good, YET OLDER, thread at serato where I found a few gems:

http://serato.com/forum/discussion/1001737

Also don't know if you saw there actually was a sticky at the top of this forum:

http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=85923

Good luck!