Should I dj with studio monitors?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should I dj with studio monitors?

I own a pair of Mackie Mr5 mk3 and I wonder should I be djing with these things. Should I use these for home djing? If so how loud should I keep them at? If not, what kind of speakers do you recommend for home djing?

I "bedroom DJ" in my living room with my studio monitors (JBL LSR305 w/ sub) and they're fine.

Keep them at a comfortable volume that doesn't piss everybody in your house or your neighbors off.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

8 inch qsc speakers make great home monitors that can also safely be used out... a good product for the person that wants to be able to use their home rig without damaging it, and have a portable rig that sounds amazing at home...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...did^3337966251
    they arent cheap, but you would be hard pressed to find a better investment for speakers, without buying monitors for the house and a PA for gigging. again....amazing sound.

of course whatever is fine for the house if you never play out on your own equipment, as long as they sound ok to you.
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

It's kind of a myth that you need proper studio monitors for DJing. Just use some speakers that sound ok for you and have enough power reserves for your needs.
    Although (active) studio monitors have some advantages:
    - easy to use, convenient to set up
    - rather small
    - great sound
    - rather sturdy
    - If you decide you want to produce stuff, you can use them for both DJing and producing

I have a sub with my adams and love them a lot!

the thing is hes asking if it is OK to use monitors for DJing... i would say for sure yes, its actually better than using something like home stereo or home theater speakers, since its giving you a more clear picture of your sound. the only thing to be careful of is using them as gigging monitors, because driving them loud enough to hear well in a noisy environment can damage them. this is where the QSCs come in..
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Usuing studio monitors will I
    Open your eyes to your mixing.... You'll be wishing you didn't know how clear it was

Tech Wizard

I use Rokit 8's and a 10s sub. Perfect for DJ'ing IMO.

Just don't try and blast them really loud for ages

Oh their awesome for djing just beware you will critique the shit out of the mixes though because of how even the response is.... You will hear every imperfection and even the slightest mistake will be very evident beyond what you'd expect... I normally playback a set on my monitors when can and what you learn will amaze you....

Tech Wizard

At home I use studio monitors and I love it. Before I used a home stereo with some hi end tannoy speakers. Didn't sound right so I pulled the trigger on some Mackies. Best decision ever.

i use the same pair of monitors... i use them both in my studio and when doing my podcast. if you have them use them, they are great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast