Deadmau5 Calls Out Krewella for "Wireless" Mixer during UMF Set
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Deadmau5 Calls Out Krewella for "Wireless" Mixer during UMF Set

My question is, is it possible it's still somehow connected. I'm not a DJ and don't have a mixer. I know i'm on this site but it's because I've always wanted to get into DJing.

Is he right, was this a premixed set. The girls claim their USB are plugged in. But what does that mean since there are literally no mixer cables? How are hey mixing?

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Can't tell. The USBs are clearly plugged in to the CDJ/DJM but that doesn't have to mean anything

Quote Originally Posted by Nikefutbolero View Post
    I know i'm on this site but it's because I've always wanted to get into DJing.
    Stop screwing around on Twitter and go buy some introductory piece of gear like the Z1 or AMX.

Learning to DJ is infinitely more fun than reading the tweets of a 4channer like Zimmerman and a couple of Gaga wannabes.

Tech Guru

It's known that they use Traktor so it's not really that surprising to see that setup. They used to tour with just an X1 or 2.

But as Stewe said, without seeing the screen, you can't tell. I doubt they premix except whenever they do vocals and live stuff. Their mixing isn't that convoluted.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Tech Convert

They are most likely using HID mode with CDJs and the DJM900 built-in interface for audio.
    If this is the case, the CDJs are used as controllers (no need for audio cables) since all the audio is being mixed and output by the mixer directly.

More info on this setup can be found here:
    https://youtu.be/i0cAIdYDZO8

Yeah I quite often run my setup in a similar fashion;

-2 x sc2900 each plugged into laptop via usb cable
    -1 x x1600 mixer plugged into laptop via usb cable.

The decks are used purely as controllers for Traktor and the laptop outputs the sound via usb to the mixer which has a built-in Traktor interface, so there are no cables needed between decks & mixer.

The whole setup just requires 3 usb cables and so is great for a quick setup (and cable management!).

I've had people ask me about it several times- and to be fair it does look odd seeing a 4-channel mixer with just a single usb cable plugged in and no cables running to the CD players!
    https://www.facebook.com/ekmobile.entertainment / http://soundcloud.com/dave-eden
    2 Denon SC2900, Denon Dn-x1600, 2 Vestax PDX2000mk2, 2 Technics 1210, Stanton SK6, Gemini SA600mk2, Pio HDJ1500, 2 Synergy CD2000 (antiques)

Lotta people went nuts over this then ended up deleting statuses and tweeets lol

I haven't been DJing for terribly long, and yet I've already grown weary of the religious wars. I have fun playing music, if my audience has fun dancing/listening, then I have succeeded. If they haven't, then I have failed. The opinions of other DJs is relevant, but only where it helps to ensure the audience is having fun. When the opinion is related to the whole "real DJing" argument, then it's a waste of *bleep*ing time because the audience doesn't know and doesn't care.

Though one can imagine a club filled with nothing but DJs, man, that would be a tough crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by deathy View Post
    I haven't been DJing for terribly long, and yet I've already grown weary of the religious wars. I have fun playing music, if my audience has fun dancing/listening, then I have succeeded. If they haven't, then I have failed. The opinions of other DJs is relevant, but only where it helps to ensure the audience is having fun. When the opinion is related to the whole "real DJing" argument, then it's a waste of *bleep*ing time because the audience doesn't know and doesn't care.

Though one can imagine a club filled with nothing but DJs, man, that would be a tough crowd.
    Well if you take what you do halfway seriously then it's upsetting. You can compare it to producing and if you genuinely know someone has ghosts or deliberately uses samples like lead loops, etc then it's annoying. Will listeners know? Not really, but you're entire community will and you'll be bashed for it anywhere you go by those peers of yours. The best bet is to keep to yourself of course and never go on these rants because you can easily put your foot in your mouth lol.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Nikefutbolero View Post
    My question is, is it possible it's still somehow connected. I'm not a DJ and don't have a mixer. I know i'm on this site but it's because I've always wanted to get into DJing.

Is he right, was this a premixed set. The girls claim their USB are plugged in. But what does that mean since there are literally no mixer cables? How are hey mixing?

The CDJ on the right has no power cord plugged into it.
    If they were using HID mode the CDJs would still need to be plugged into a computer.
    Alos no link between the mixer/cdjs.
    Is there even an XLR going off the mains? So no sound output.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast