Stems - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Stems

This is definitely not for the DJ's who mix from one record to another record and back. This is catering to the pros.
    But it could be as horrible as it could be wonderful, just like sync.
    I can see some techno and scratch DJ's use this to really push into "live remixing" and next level stuff, but I could also just as easily see inexperienced would-be artists syncing up a bunch of stems and creating a trainwreck like nothing before it.
    Fixing stuff that isn't broken.

Quote Originally Posted by safefire View Post
    This is definitely not for the DJ's who mix from one record to another record and back. This is catering to the pros.
    Hm..your definition of "pros" is.....disturbing. Let just call them live remixers, ok?

Quote Originally Posted by safefire View Post
    But it could be as horrible as it could be wonderful, just like sync.
    I can see some techno and scratch DJ's use this to really push into "live remixing" and next level stuff, but I could also just as easily see inexperienced would-be artists syncing up a bunch of stems and creating a trainwreck like nothing before it.
    Actually, this looks like it is probably catered to the less-experienced remix deck users. I predict 90% of use will be to turn off the vocal stem with a occasional on/off of the other stems during transitions.

For me, it is easier to dig deeper to find good stuff no other plays than to invest a shitload of money (and time - with remix decks) to play the stuff everbody plays - just a little bit different.

Also, to the producer crowd here:
    As artists, would you be ok with not being able to control what happens with the final arrangement of your songs? I know some artist who don't do remix contests because of that.

Do you think NI will pay the labels it has mentioned to "support" Stems project to do it? For how long? A lot of questions indeed..
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

This is just Traktor slowly turning itself into Ableton Live for beginners...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post

As artists, would you be ok with not being able to control what happens with the final arrangement of your songs? I know some artist who don't do remix contests because of that.
    I think many wouldn't. I mean, you put a lot of work and effort into picking the correct bassline, kick, etc. and get everything to play nicely together. Now, you've got some Joe Blow putting in some super compressed kick that he happens to love over your anything but compressed, mellowed out kick? And this is how many listeners are potentially going to be introduced to "your song?"
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    I got to no problem with folks completely restructuring my tracks, I do the same myself when I play.

Nothing new... Stems are used since years for the mastering...
    Yes, this new feature give us more possibility but for me NI is doing lots of complicated things instead of doing basic improvements.

Stems, D2, S8 but the same browser section since Traktor 1.2.x...

Or for example, dj TT has released the MF Twister..... Why NI has not implemented the step sequencer on the F1 yet??? Why they did the D2 instead of the F1 mk2 with more functionality?

For me they are doing too many things leaving virtually all unfinished...

I'll give it a try, Cr2 and Toolroom are on board, so that's pretty major.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Pippo91 View Post
    For me they are doing too many things leaving virtually all unfinished...
    It's because NI understands that there is no money in hardware. They're trying to expand to services, similar to how apple expanded into apps to compliment the iPhone. Smart buisness move ahead of the looming recession that we have a year out.
    Last edited by Killing time; 03-31-2015 at 10:18 AM.
    Technics 1210 / Pioneer plx 1000 / Xone 42 / Adam a3x / UA apollo twin / Maschine mikro / Ableton live 9 / Maschine 2 / MBP Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015

There's a recession looming in Germany?
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Tech Mentor

No, another global recession. The parity of the dollar vs euro is a good indicator of the start of it, along with the fact that the business cycle is nearing its end.

Here in the united states there are firms preparing for it. Mc Donalds is announced its planning to expand breakfast items to be served all day; ie a diversification of their offerings. Similar to how it expanded to Mc cafe before 2009.
    Last edited by Killing time; 03-31-2015 at 10:26 AM.
    Technics 1210 / Pioneer plx 1000 / Xone 42 / Adam a3x / UA apollo twin / Maschine mikro / Ableton live 9 / Maschine 2 / MBP Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast