Stems - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Stems

So, they'll be 4 times bigger than an MP3, take a small bit of extra time to produce, and won't be as widespread as MP3. I'd be concerned what way they will be priced..

Although it is a super tool, I personally can't see it taking off from a DJ perspective.
    Producers/remix artists may have a legitimate purpose, but, for DJ'n.. how long before it's going to be going from your 'A' list, to the archive, tracks have a certain lifespan, will the cost and effort be enough to justify that? Certainly, it could add a bit extra creativity on those tracks alone that are stemmed, but to most talented DJ's, they don't really need this to make them any more creative than they already are, especially when accapellas and instrumentals are already out there and have been for years.
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

Stems will just be stolen by producers and used in their own productions and there will be even more to add to the "copyright battle" that's currently happening.

I spose it's success will be based on how many people actually format their tracks into stems.

Am i missing something here, as im not really sure i see the point of them, seeing as their are millions of sample packs about already?
    A+H DB4, Technics 1210's x2, F1, X1MK2 x2, MaschineMk2, Akai LPK 25, MF3D, XDJ-1000 x2.

Quote Originally Posted by DubluW View Post
    I spose it's success will be based on how many people actually format their tracks into stems.

Am i missing something here, as im not really sure i see the point of them, seeing as their are millions of sample packs about already?
    To sell more S8's....

Tech Mentor

I remember in the early 90's, there was a format that did this on CD. I'm not sure what it was called.

I don't see the difference in this compared to remix sets. It's like they are rethinking remix set format, because it's a clusterf*ck of random sample files and .trak file.
    Traktor Z2, Numark TTX1,Ableton Live 9/Push,Roland TR8,Eurorack modular
    Techno/Experimental

Why no lossless? If you're gonna make a new file format, why not include beatgrid and cue point information to make it easier to import?

I'll bet you the stem tool analyzes and beatgrids as well.

Remix sets may well come in stems format later down the line, but for now there is one major difference: Stems are four big files of identical length, Remix Sets are a collection of small files of various lengths.
    Fixing stuff that isn't broken.

I reckon it sounds like a great idea, similar to how I've been using remix decks & play my tracks out live.

There are definitely issues with making the stems available to others but that's a choice that is made by the artist & label, if they're fine with the possibility of sampling then that's cool. It's been going on for years with releasing acapellas and, more lately of course the remix decks.

Where I think it'll shine is being able to 'edit' together sets rather than just straight mixing. It'll make transitions more unique and in some part, minimise issues mixing inbetween keys by dropping out the melodic elements and replacing them with the next. Also handy for those that like short mixing!

I personally can't wait for them to introduce it & I'll be producing all my tracks in that additional format from now on. Whether the labels then decide to put them out is up to them but it'll be real handy in a set!

For legal reasons this idea will not make it. Putting vocals in a separate track makes it easy to "abuse" the vocals for other remixes without paying for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleurhutje View Post
    For legal reasons this idea will not make it. Putting vocals in a separate track makes it easy to "abuse" the vocals for other remixes without paying for it.
    That's what I was saying earlier. There is already enough copyright bs going on and this will add to it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast